Displaying Licence 'discs'

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

This from 'Your Questions Answered', Boaters' Update 10 Mar 2017:

Do I still need to display my licence discs?

Yes. This extract from licence Terms & Conditions explains why: ‘It is very important – and a legal requirement – that you display your Licence. Although we don’t need this for licence checking purposes (the index number tells us if the boat is correctly licensed), it demonstrates to other boaters that you are complying with our requirements and not evading your responsibility to contribute to the cost of maintaining the Waterways.'

Our boat is licenced so that we can use the waterways legally and in line with CaRT's terms & conditions etc. CaRT know this fact from their licence database. It is a contract between me and CaRT and nothing whatsoever to do with hi viz Hitlers (with or without clipboards), curtain twitchers and others of such ilk.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

• Greenie 2

I did not receive a paper license last year I do not have a printer or access to one so am not displaying a license. As far as I know anybody can check online and see my boat is licensed so what is the need to display?

Edited by bastion
Insert a missing word

Just now, bastion said:

I did not receive a paper license last year I do not have a printer or access to one so am displaying a license. As far as I know anybody can check online and see my boat is licensed so what is the need to display?

I printed mine and a week later two came in the post

38 minutes ago, bastion said:

I did not receive a paper license last year I do not have a printer or access to one so am not displaying a license. As far as I know anybody can check online and see my boat is licensed so what is the need to display?

Same here, but they will send you them if you ask. I've just received mine. They are just plain b/w print, not coloured.

I phoned and asked them to send mine, so they did, twice lol.  So now I've four licences.....

If you ask, they'll also send those little plastic wallets, stops the ink running.

16 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

Think it's just legislation needing to catch up. 

As you point out it is a requirement of  the law.  What I find amusing is that if CRT do anything that is thought to be contrary to law a section of the boating community howl about illegality.  Yet when the law is something boaters find a little superfluous or irksome a section of boaters think it shouldn't be applied etc.

43 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

I phoned and asked them to send mine, so they did, twice lol.  So now I've four licences.....

If you ask, they'll also send those little plastic wallets, stops the ink running.

We laminate ours, used to find a print shop to do it but now have a small home office laminator of our own (for other reasons). We found that even inside the plastic wallets, on the inside of the windows, they still collected any moisture going and went all manky and mouldy.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I printed mine and a week later two came in the post

Exactly this!

They really can't make their mind up about anything in this area, can they?

Having said initially that they would not send them at all, they subsequently said they would if you asked.

Now it seems their system still tells you to print your own, but shortly after, some turn up through the post that you have not requested.

IIRC part of the original decision was to save them the cost of printing and posting them, so that's gone well, hasn't it!

28 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

We laminate ours, used to find a print shop to do it but now have a small home office laminator of our own (for other reasons). We found that even inside the plastic wallets, on the inside of the windows, they still collected any moisture going and went all manky and mouldy.

Yes my own printed, (but unlaminated), ones have disolved in under a year even in the wallet, largely due to condensation forming in the portholes in which they are.

The tunnel keepers at Harecastle say they need to see the licence so they can be sure  the boat has a safety cert, as they aren't supposed to let a boat through without one. Not sure why they can't have a gizmo like the boat checkers do, as that would tell them more accurately anyway. 

By the way, they now let you go through with your stove alight - a small  victory for common sense. 

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

Same here, but they will send you them if you ask. I've just received mine. They are just plain b/w print, not coloured.

Mine is due soon. I might print my own technicolour version

7 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes. This extract from licence Terms & Conditions explains why: ‘It is very important – and a legal requirement – that you display your Licence. Although we don’t need this for licence checking purposes (the index number tells us if the boat is correctly licensed), it demonstrates to other boaters that you are complying with our requirements and not evading your responsibility to contribute to the cost of maintaining the Waterways.'

Our boat is licenced so that we can use the waterways legally and in line with CaRT's terms & conditions etc. CaRT know this fact from their licence database. It is a contract between me and CaRT and nothing whatsoever to do with hi viz Hitlers (with or without clipboards), curtain twitchers and others of such ilk.

Index number?

Sadly many rely on the licence to give their index number.

Am I wrong? but I think a condition of getting a licence is that the boat clearly displays:

Boat name

Index number

Licence

...and all on both sides of the vessel.

James (too late to look up the regs!)

7 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Can anybody ever show us the details of any boater that has been prosecuted for not displaying a licence on a boat that is actually licensed?

i bet the answer is an emphatic no...

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

IIRC part of the original decision was to save them the cost of printing and posting them, so that's gone well, hasn't it!

The ones that they send are just printed as graphics at the bottom of the confirmation of payment letter, so they would only cost the price of the ink... Not separately printed as they were, no perforations.. 

I like to display our licence  . Just because it's an expensive bit of paper  and I don't see the point in not displaying the fact that we managed to pay for it . I know that probably doesn't make sense . 

• Greenie 1

They sent my two that i laminated then they sent me two metal no plates with a different  no, so i rang them and they said throw away the paper ones and we will adjust our records as it's cheaper than having more metal ones made up, then emailed me the new license to print off.

Neil

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The ones that they send are just printed as graphics at the bottom of the confirmation of payment letter, so they would only cost the price of the ink... Not separately printed as they were, no perforations.. 

Yes, but they said they would not be sending out confirmation letters either, so they are now back to the cost of printing, processing, and posting them, so I believe my comment you have quoted is still 100% valid.

2015 licence renewed by phone called into Leeds CRT office they printed coloured ones for me.

2016 again licence renewed by phone called into Red Bull basin office they printed black & white ones for me .

So there is no excuse for not having them and displaying them the same as having Name and number on your boat .