New Format

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

On 23/07/2017 at 13:13, RichM said:

I would disagree with that. After the update, we had a fair amount of complaints about the new Activity Streams and the new design. 

We addressed this in two ways:

- I paid (out of my own money) for the Shift theme which addresses many design flaws in the legacy theme. Sorry to be frank but if you don't like it, don't use it. The legacy theme is still an option. May I also add that most people use the Shift theme, so I'm sure if I were to take this away I'd be met with even more complaints. 
- Configured the new VNC to replicate the behaviour of the old one as best as we could - granted, it took us longer to do this than it should have but we too have jobs/lives to live

As for the display issue, I'm not entirely sure as I don't have that issue and it's difficult to fix an issue you cannot see or replicate. 

I would suggest trying it in:

- IE
- Chrome
- Firefox

Advise on the browsers that have this issue and it might help me narrow it down.

Sorry, but we were new to it also. While it could have been handled better, it's difficult to predict everything that people will have problems with and as such we took a reactive approach to address the issues and while the default functionality is not identical, it's broadly similar. 

When I was referring to providing more choice, VNC or "Activity Streams" was not one of them. The old VNC was replaced by Activity Streams and this was done by Invision and we've already explained the reasons behind that. We don't develop/code the forum software. 

RichM

Are you saying the extent of the changes introduced by the upgrade was as much a surprise to you as it was to us?

I have to say, previous upgrades have only ever fiddled around the edges with the user interface, so I can understand why you might have installed this upgrade without first looking at it. I guess it was sold to you by Invision as a security upgrade, and they didn't tell you the whole user interface had been changed from the ground up.

Commitment beyond the call of duty too for you to have purchased the theme package out of your own pocket. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Are you saying the extent of the changes introduced by the upgrade was as much a surprise to you as it was to us?

I have to say, previous upgrades have only ever fiddled around the edges with the user interface, so I can understand why you might have installed this upgrade without first looking at it. I guess it was sold to you by Invision as a security upgrade, and they didn't tell you the whole user interface had been changed from the ground up.

Commitment beyond the call of duty too for you to have purchased the theme package out of your own pocket. Thank you!

Not a surprise no as I was aware the functionality was different although I wasn't aware it was possible to near replicate the search criteria of VNC.  We just didn't anticipate the reaction we got in response to it and that was an oversight on my part. 

I think we need to draw a line under this.

We, predominantly Richard, worked very hard to do the best we could to migrate the site from V3 which had come to end of life, on to V4. Testing was done of the new software and we both agreed things looks good. The migration was very smooth and quick, with no technical complications, thanks to Richard's carefully and well planned approach.

The 'view unread content' button gave a slightly changed but generally similar feel, and the appearance was slightly changed but easy to navigate and use. For robustness and ease of maintenance we opted to use the default theme/skin as we always have before.

Once implemented there was significantly more backlash than expected at the change in feel, and off the back of that we implement changes to both the default behaviour of the 'view unread content' button and to the default theme. As members had already spent some time getting used to the default V4 theme, access to this was left as an option.

With infinite resources, or twenty twenty hindsight, we could have done some more usergroup testing, and that might have highlighted the matter, or it might not. However in practice all site staff are volunteers, running a free to use community website.

It is the way it is, and it's obviously not only good enough for most people, but good enough for you, as you are still here using and presumably enjoying the site! As this stage that is where we are, can we move forwards please.

Daniel

9 hours ago, RichM said:

May I also add that most people use the Shift theme, so I'm sure if I were to take this away I'd be met with even more complaints. 

RichM

There must be a reason for this.  Could it be something to do with the little word after the choice - default?  I'm sure I'm not the only one who was vaguely wondering why CWDF looked different despite not having done anything.  Anything that is a default choice is bound to be the most used, even if no-one really wants it.

I'll have a look at CWDF in Chrome to see if the display issue is the same, thank you.

10 hours ago, mross said:

I wonder if our Luddites are still using MS-DOS or Windows 95?  Do they complain to Microsoft every time a new operating system comes out? :)

Del C:\*.*

Y

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Del C:\*.*

Y

Somebody once asked me what del c:\*.* would do so I suggested they tried it and walked away. They weren't very happy after pressing Y.

Software developers regularly make changes as they think it is the right thing to do or makes navigation better. I've done it myself where I think I have added a great feature but others don't have the same view. Often the problem is the developer knows how to use it as they wrote it but the usage it not obvious to everyone else. I the now I often use the filters to find posts and think that is a useful feature now I've got used to using them but it has been a bit of a case of finding a use for some of the features.