New Format

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

I've not had any issues since being advised how to make a personal activity stream.

The further updates have only improved things and I find it easy to use and virtually identical to the the original in terms of functionality.

I am very pleased by some of the modifications made since the new format was launched - inparticular, the return of "View New Content". At first, this was "View unanswered posts" which meant that, as soon as one posted in the thread, it disappeared from the leader board until someone else wrote something in it.

Last time I looked, which I think was two days ago, the "Find members" feature needed some attention, as there was no provision to insert a member's name or beginning of a name, making finding a particular member unnecessarily difficult.

34 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I've not had any issues since being advised how to make a personal activity stream.

The further updates have only improved things and I find it easy to use and virtually identical to the the original in terms of functionality.

28 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I would agree with Cuthound.

Thank you both for the feedback, glad you are finding the site easy to use. Now we have created the 'view new content' stream and set it as default, members should not have create a personalised stream, can still use the 'unread content' steam (including setting it as their default) or create a custom stream as you have, which will remain default unless you opt to change. 

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Hi.

I have tried, oh! How I have tried. But, I just can't get my head round the new format.
its been spoilt in a big way, in my humble opinion.

just saying like!

Nightwatch, I am sorry you are still struggling with the changes. It is not clear if the issue is with the move to the later version from a week ago you are struggling with, or change in appearance we put in place last night following feedback from members, however if there is anything specific you are having issues with I am sure myself and the other staff and members can help getting the site working as you enjoyed before.

Thanks
Daniel

I'm a bit puzzled by the new View New Content stream. Now that posts stay after they have been read, how long do they remain there or does the list go on growing forever?

Presumably if you actually want them to disappear from the list when they have been read, you need to create an specific new activity stream?

This is the system which we had before the changes, and it worked well then. You need look only at the first page, which shows the most recent additions, then it shouldn't bother you how many pages there are thereafter.

10 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the new View New Content stream. Now that posts stay after they have been read,

Your puzzled?   So am I for a different reason, posts don't stay after I have read them!    How do you make that happen?

46 minutes ago, mross said:

Thanks for that but it doesn't quite replicate what the (to me ) original was like.   On that I saw all the new content threads as thread title those I hadn't read had the blue dot those read didn't.

The fix in the TXT document does this but shows all posts not merely the thread.  Is there anyway to get the result I would like (assuming that is I have explained it clearly enough)?

3 hours ago, DHutch said:

Thank you both for the feedback, glad you are finding the site easy to use. Now we have created the 'view new content' stream and set it as default, members should not have create a personalised stream, can still use the 'unread content' steam (including setting it as their default) or create a custom stream as you have, which will remain default unless you opt to change. 

Nightwatch, I am sorry you are still struggling with the changes. It is not clear if the issue is with the move to the later version from a week ago you are struggling with, or change in appearance we put in place last night following feedback from members, however if there is anything specific you are having issues with I am sure myself and the other staff and members can help getting the site working as you enjoyed before.

Thanks
Daniel

A rather appropriate typo in your case Dan!

53 minutes ago, mross said:

Are you using a custom stream?

I was trying a custom stream and it wasn't doing what I wanted.  I have returned to the "standard" set up and suddenly it seems to show what I would like it to show.

Many Thanks for your attention and help.

12 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the new View New Content stream. Now that posts stay after they have been read, how long do they remain there or does the list go on growing forever?

Presumably if you actually want them to disappear from the list when they have been read, you need to create an specific new activity stream?

I was not sure what to opt for.

The old 'View New Content' didnt instantly remove threads after you have viewed them, and I feel showing viewed threads is closer to how I found the list to work under V3, as well as perhaps a better compliment to the existing 'Unread Content' stream that was briefly default when we move to V4.

As you say, if you want a 'View New and Unread' stream, you can easily make you own default stream combining both settings.

Both lists are in effect bottomless, you can go back in time and 'new(ish)' and unread content as long as you like, unless you hit 'mark all as read' , but it also does give nice breaks in the list as you toggle over into 'yesterday' 'last week' etc.

As said, before, you can also share a steam, and in fact each one including the custom 'default' we have added called 'veiw new content' have their one stream number.

Daniel

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's bloody insane that all this pishing about is necessary to get back what we had before with no effort required.

To an extent I agree, Invision should have made it easier for us to perform the major version update, without change in the functionality of the 'new/unread content' button, and the visual appearance changed a little more than I would have changes it.

That said; the software allows us to create the 'View New Content' stream, which in retrospect we should have role out at the same time, and you do have to keep the visual appearance of a site moving to keep it from looking out of date. That is just a factor of life.

15 hours ago, MJG said:

Why is it so 'clunky' on an iPad when scrolling?

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by 'clunky' Martin? Is this new Shift theme, the 'Legacy' theme or both?

Daniel