Overnight mooring at Marple Junction

Grassman

Featured Posts

Next month we will be going up the Macclesfield Canal then turning right onto the Peak Forest Canal.  We want to meet some friends at Marple Junction to take them for a days cruise to Bugsworth and back. Is it reasonable around there for overnight mooring and does anybody know of anywhere our friends can park their 2 cars?

I remember there was a small marina on the Peak Forest just after the junction, and I think there's a CRT yard on the Macclesfield just before the junction. I was wondering if either of those could accommodate the 2 cars for a day and possibly an overnight mooring (although we'd be happy mooring on the towpath). Obviously I'd pre-arrange it so does anybody have contact numbers for these places?

Any info will be gratefully received please.

We did something similar a few years ago. Our friends parked in the road next to the last few locks. We checked it was alright with one of the local residents first. Moored at the junction many times and it's always been OK. IIRC the moorings opposite the sanitary station are on hardstanding those around the corner on the Peak Forest canal suffer bank erosion and some were fenced off .with Defra rash last time we went by.

Edited by Midnight
speeeling

plenty of car parking round roads near the doctors lots of moorings if not full of continuous moorers and the bell trip boat.If spending time in Bugsworth Basin watch out or you will be returning in the dark the land rises to the west of the canal and sunset is earlier as i found out when doing the same.

Thanks to you all for the useful information.

I suppose we could instead do the trip the other way round, i.e starting at Bugsworth because at this time of year there should be plenty of moorings in the basin and  I think there's ample parking at The Navigation Inn, but I wanted the pub to be the turning point rather than the starting point so we could have lunch there.

The disadvantage with doing it this way round is the pubs in Marple by/near the canal don't look as good, and may not be 'dog friendly' so after what you've all said I reckon we will be fine with my original plan starting from Marple.

Many thanks.

7 hours ago, Grassman said:

The disadvantage with doing it this way round is the pubs in Marple by/near the canal don't look as good, and may not be 'dog friendly' so after what you've all said I reckon we will be fine with my original plan starting from Marple.

Many thanks.

Ring O' Bells by bridge 2 on the Macc is dog friendly and does reasonable food along with Robinsons cask ales

That's good to know, so doing the trip the other way round could be a good option then.

That's great and thanks for the info. Sounds like my kind of pub !

I notice you're from Congleton. Are there usually spaces on the visitor moorings for overnighting there, bearing in mind that it may me the Easter weekend? I've only been there once and that was years ago just for a brief stop for shopping.