Turning formatting on and off when posting.

Featured Posts

(Not sure I have used best description of this!)

The old software used to have a feature where when composing a post, or reply to a post, you clicked a button in the top left of the frame, which then toggled between the post in its formatted state, or just showed the tags that cause the formatting.

This was, I think very top left, but I now only have "bold" "italic" etc formatting buttons there.

I used to make much use of this feature, particularly when manually manipulating links, quotes, pictures etc.

Is it still available somehow, or, if not, is it possible to reinstate it, please?

Looking on the IPS web site it looks like CKEditor is used which is widely customisable so extra buttons for more functionality should be able to be enabled through the back end configuration file. It will need a bit of work by Richard but shouldn't be difficult.  There are various features in the editor that weren't available in the old version so should be better and easier to use overall. 

38 minutes ago, mross said:

When writing a post you can click on the button marked </> to write code - you can select from many different types ie HTML, javascript, XML etc.  does that help?

No, well you did ask:mellow:

Frank

1 hour ago, mross said:

When writing a post you can click on the button marked </> to write code - you can select from many different types ie HTML, javascript, XML etc.  does that help?

No not really, (or in fact not at all I think!).

I wan't to be able to manipulate stuff already present, (particularly when quoting a complex post, say with embedded pictures).  I can't see how what you are pointing out helps with anuthing other than inserting new content.

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I wan't to be able to manipulate stuff already present, (particularly when quoting a complex post, say with embedded pictures).  I can't see how what you are pointing out helps with anuthing other than inserting new content.

Seconded :)

The previous versions of the software as based around 'BB Code' which by V3 also came with a good WYSIWYG editor and you could toggle between them, where this latest version is based on xHTML which you can then toggle to and from as before, but while more powerful is perhaps less accessible to those who has become fluent in BB Code but are not fluent in HTML, myself included.

From this version onward, the software does indeed use CK Editor and there are some 'plugin' options for adjusting its behaviour so this is an option we could look into.

Daniel

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

If I reply to a post on my phone I see this:

looking at the top bar I have BIU Smileys Hyperlink and Preview. Where is the xHTML option found?

The button does disappear on the smallest view. Turning your phone to landscape will likely show the button.

Daniel

7 hours ago, DHutch said:

The button does disappear on the smallest view. Turning your phone to landscape will likely show the button.

Daniel

Sadly not, but I do acquire the quote and bullet buttons in landscape. 

I have done a bit more digging, basic BBcode is supported by the current editor, but it is a one way process and once posted the BBcode turns into html and can only be edited using the wysiwyg editor. 

The html editor can (without plugins, which I have not explored) only be turned on or off, there is no half way option for limited HTML access. Hence by default it is not accessible to members, and there are associated risks to making it publicly available.

This has created some back-lash but it appears now to be Invisions intention for this to change much. There is a 'remove formatting' button but thats about it.

If you can access it, there is a thread on the topic here: https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/417407-ips-40-the-current-state-of-bbcode-and-its-future-is-bbcode-officially-abandoned/

Daniel