CRT survey

Sparx

Featured Posts

Are you a new 'boater' ?

This happens on a regular basis and C&RT revolve their 1/3rd around for each survey, so they have covered their total licence holders every 3 years.

This particular survey has been going for several years (I have been 'lucky enough' to have been called on to fill it in twice)

The results from the 2016 Survey :

63% of boaters said that they trust us to look after the waterways, up from 58% in 2014. The survey shows that there is variation across different demographics, with those with a home mooring or who use the waterways for leisure being most content.

Almost half the respondents (48%) now say they know us very well or a fair amount, up from 35% in 2013/14. This suggests that we have improved our communications and are being more open and transparent, and potentially indicates that people have a greater understanding of our work beyond being simply a licence provider.

Boaters are also more likely to agree that we 'prioritise our spending on what I feel is most needed' with 40% agreeing compared to 30% in 2014. 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 11/03/2017 at 09:48, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you a new 'boater' ?

This happens on a regular basis and C&RT revolve their 1/3rd around for each survey, so they have covered their total licence holders every 3 years.

Which is of course, not actually true whatever CRT say.

I've been a CRT licence holder for a decade or so, and for the last six years I've held two licences. I've yet to be approached to take part in this survey.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've been a CRT licence holder for a decade or so, and for the last six years I've held two licences. I've yet to be approached to take part in this survey.

I don't think the fact that you have more than one license increases your chances as you'll only have one customer number.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Don't worry, Mike, I'm sure it's deliberate. :lol:

It's a cheap way of doing it, I suspect. They create it using SurveyMonkey and probably send it to every third person on the licence database, starting with the first record in year one, the second in year two and so on. So if your position on the database shifts, as it's almost bound to, you get missed out. 

To do it properly, you'd take a stratified sample balanced for demographics, mooring type including ccers and so forth. You'd need a much smaller sample but would have to pay someone who knew what they were doing to run it, and that's not cheap.

Sense of deja vu here... I think I said this this time last year, and the year before. But hey, what do I know, I only used to help run a social care research institute...

4 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

It's a cheap way of doing it, I suspect. They create it using SurveyMonkey

C&RT use a very expensive 'research' company to do the work for them

All the information is 'out there' for those that can be bothered to look.

The survey, which was sent to a third of our boat licence holders, was carried out by the independent research consultancy BDRC Continental between 25 February and 25 March 2016. It will be repeated each year with the aim of having contacted the majority of boaters on our waters in each three-year cycle. 

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Boaters are also more likely to agree that we 'prioritise our spending on what I feel is most needed' with 40% agreeing 

nice choice of wording from crt there... good way of putting a positive spin on 60% disagreeing

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nor me. I never received a request to complete a survey in the four and a half years that I held a C&RT licence

10 years on the cut and been contacted once to complete the survey. However as previously stated 'results' can be interpreted in many ways, without context they can be made to say what you want really. 

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

nice choice of wording from crt there... good way of putting a positive spin on 60% disagreeing

Not necessarily, these surveys often ask you to give a score on a scale, for example 1 = completly disagree with the statement to 6 = completely agree.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it possible you have a preference set that says you do not want to receive such material from them?

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Nor me. I never received a request to complete a survey in the four and a half years that I held a C&RT licence

It may not apply to you David, but I know the reason many people never received them was because CRT did not actually have a current valid email address held against the licence holders account.

It may be less the case now that so many people use on-line methods to renew licences, but in the days when the vast majority did it by post CRT claimed that for a very large number of customers they did not hold a valid email address.

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

10 years on the cut and been contacted once to complete the survey. However as previously stated 'results' can be interpreted in many ways, without context they can be made to say what you want really. 

CRT have not been in existence for much of that 10 years though!

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

It may not apply to you David, but I know the reason many people never received them was because CRT did not actually have a current valid email address held against the licence holders account.

It may be less the case now that so many people use on-line methods to renew licences, but in the days when the vast majority did it by post CRT claimed that for a very large number of customers they did not hold a valid email address.

Of course silly me - it just feels like it! :blush:

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT use a very expensive 'research' company to do the work for them

All the information is 'out there' for those that can be bothered to look.

The survey, which was sent to a third of our boat licence holders, was carried out by the independent research consultancy BDRC Continental between 25 February and 25 March 2016. It will be repeated each year with the aim of having contacted the majority of boaters on our waters in each three-year cycle. 

Well, I beg their pardon! Couldn't find any hard info about staff qualifications on their website, mind, but that'll be me tipping into grumpy old man mode, probably...

Still don't see why theynheed to survey a third of the population in question, though, just shouldn't be necessary if it's properly designed.

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Oh they had my email address all right. I got frequent, very annoying, emails from all sorts of people who worked for them. I also always renewed the licence on line. I only opted out of their contact system after we had sold the boat.

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Is it possible you have a preference set that says you do not want to receive such material from them?

Yes it's possible, but i don't remember opting out of anything.

On the other hand I tend to spot the opt-in tick boxes and un-tick them routinely....

• 2 weeks later...