Business licence fees ?

Muddy Ditch Rich

Featured Posts

I saw on another forum this discussion about the extra business licence fee being against the law

"1971 BW act

10.  The  Board  may  from  time  to  time  resolve  that  as  from such  date  or  dates  as  may  be  determined  by  the  Board  the  classification  of  pleasure  boats  shall  be  sub-divided  and  may  from  time to  time  fix  the  appropriate  registration  charges  to  be  paid  in  respect of  the  pleasure  boats  included  in  each  sub-division: Provided  that  such  charges  shall  not  exceed  the  appropriate prescribed  charges  in  respect  of  such  pleasure  boats. "

Is this still the law ? 

Are business licence boaters due a refund ?

You will note that 'the website in question' is talking about 'licence fees' but is using 'registration fee' legislation for 'River Waterways' to substantiate their argument.

I suggest that you have a read the 1971 Act for yourself and see what 'registration' consists of, pay particular attention to Schedule 1 showing the affected waterways.

These are NOT licence fees.

I quote the preamble to the Section 2 (of which subsection 10 is included)

"This part of this Act applies to the Main navigable Channel of the Waterways specified in Schedule 1 to this Act. Which Channel, so specified is in this Act referred to as a "River Waterway"

Talk about "project fear' !!!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

41 minutes ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

What act defines the rules for non pleasure boats ?

Nigel may point elsewhere but I think that the canal company can charge as much as they wish to maximise their revenue. They certainly did originally.

20 minutes ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

Can't find any act that permits CaRT to sell business licences. There is a bylaw that requires permission for this activity, but no fee.

Well according to "the other place" there is no such thing as a Business Licence, only a Roving Traders Licence.

I suppose the obvious thing for you to do is not pay it and become the test case. I'm sure you'll get lots of support from the usual suspects elsewhere I hope they would dip into their pockets and help with your legal fees.

25 minutes ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

Can't find any act that permits CaRT to sell business licences. There is a bylaw that requires permission for this activity, but no fee.

And nothing that says a fee cannot be charged for the said permission. 

If MDR & friends are so sure of themselves, go to court. Plenty of no win no fee lawyers out there for open & shut cases. Otherwise, shut up. And stop costing CRT (&therefore us) a fortune in having to answer stupid questions. Although I understand they are now refusing to communicate with the one known as "Tadworth" at all, which seems a sensible start. 

• Greenie 1

On 10/03/2017 at 15:16, Mike Todd said:

In any event what you cite specifically and exclusively refers to pleasure boats. Business boats fall outside that scope, surely?

No they don't, Mike. The definition of pleasure boat is not given in in the '71 act  as it is defined in the '65 bye-laws. Counter-intuitively,  a pleasure boat is any craft not used 'solely as a tug or for the carriage of goods'.

The '65 bye-laws cite just two licences - 'private boat licence' and 'commercial vessel licence'. 

Private boat certificates and houseboat certificates came later ...

15 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

No they don't, Mike. The definition of pleasure boat is not given in in the '71 act  as it is defined in the '65 bye-laws. Counter-intuitively,  a pleasure boat is any craft not used 'solely as a tug or for the carriage of goods'.

The '65 bye-laws cite just two licences - 'private boat licence' and 'commercial vessel licence'. 

Surely a boat used for business could be defined as a carrier of goods? Dictionary definition of goods:" A commodity, or a physical, tangible item that satisfies some human want or need, or something that people find useful or desirable and make an effort to acquire it." So if you are providing a service that people find useful, that would make you a commercial vessel. Probably. And back to the lawyers, who are the only ones likely to make any money out of all this...

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Surely a boat used for business could be defined as a carrier of goods? Dictionary definition of goods:" A commodity, or a physical, tangible item that satisfies some human want or need, or something that people find useful or desirable and make an effort to acquire it." So if you are providing a service that people find useful, that would make you a commercial vessel. Probably. And back to the lawyers, who are the only ones likely to make any money out of all this...

Now there's an idea, a law boat to complement the cheese, fudge and wool boats :D

Should prove very popular on the western end of the K&A and in London.

15 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You are spinning like a top, Arthur ...

Dictionary definitions do not take precedence over a legal definition as I am sure you know.

As far as I am aware 'roving trader licences' are only few pounds more than  'private boat licences/certificates' so I don't see anyone really wanting to contest the issue on cost grounds. 

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Yes, after posting a re-read the Acts, esp 1971, and concluded that there was no definition that properly included the traditional narrowboat that carried freight but had a live aboard family.

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes, after posting a re-read the Acts, esp 1971, and concluded that there was no definition that properly included the traditional narrowboat that carried freight but had a live aboard family.

My perception is that 1971 legislation confirmed a division  between traditional use of the waterways and any other uses.

15 hours ago, cuthound said:

Now there's an idea, a law boat to complement the cheese, fudge and wool boats :D

Should prove very popular on the western end of the K&A and in London.

I suspect a couple of boat owners down there believe they are already operating one.

10 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

My perception is that 1971 legislation confirmed a division  between traditional use of the waterways and any other uses.

Part I defines a pleasure boat as " . . . a craft that does not include a vessel being used solely as a tug or for the carriage of goods or a houseboat"

The Act itself in its preamble states that it is to make provision for regulating the use of pleasure boats and houseboats. Hence it does not really need to define what constitutes a commercial or business vessel.

In being so focussed it does seem to have been rather woolly in respect of vessels that cross boundaries. (Houseboats do, however, explicitly exclude anything used bona fide for navigation but there's a phrase that has caused problems! Perhaps that is why some court cases have had difficulties in deciding whether to consider a specific vessel as a pleasure carft or a houseboat)

What I cannot find in anywhere that clearly determines into which category to place a vessel that is both used as a residence and for carrying freight (such as the traditional narrowboat). Unless it is deemed that the residence is entirely incidental to the sole purpose of carrying freight. But how much of a year's travels must a boat be carrying freight?

Perhaps you can point to a specific part in the Act?