Dulux Metalshield

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I have. I'd recommend it. 

Thanks for the reply. People have only mentioned Weathershield and I was wondering why!

It comes in Gloss and Satin, did you use the Gloss?

I note in this range even the Satin is oil based.

Edited by Mikexx

22 hours ago, Mikexx said:

Thanks for the reply. People have only mentioned Weathershield and I was wondering why!

It comes in Gloss and Satin, did you use the Gloss?

I note in this range even the Satin is oil based.

Weathershield is a totally different product. A relatively cheap paint. Metalshield isn't cheap but it's much better. I've used it for touch-up jobs because I don't know what paint my boat had when I bought it. Dulux will colour match so I took a removable piece of seat from my front cratch in. I use gloss. I buy their trade primer too. 

I was going to use a non-slip floor paint for my roof, so called the manufacturer's to ask suitability.  Their floor paints whilst very tough are intended for indoor use and are not UV stabilised.  They estimated it would last 5 years before flaking and dusting badly.  So if considering floor paint best check on suitability for exterior use.

Edited by Chewbacka
typo

I reckon the problem is adhesion, though it can be a bit brittle and crack which could be described as cohesion. When we got our boat the gunnels were done in floor paint and it kept flaking off, but the bits that were stuck on were really hard to sand off, it was a pain. My own view is to pay the money and use paints that were designed for use on steel boats, there are lots at the chandlers. The only exception to this is Bondaprimer that I use as a primer, as a final top coat on the gunnels, and even for a bit of interior decorating, though strictly I think Bondaprimer is sometimes actually sold as a marine paint.

.....................Dave

That's it, floor paint not flexible enough. Different expansion and contraction rates, the paint lets go, cohesion.

Although Leyland floor paint seems to hold up reasonably well on steel roofs. But I wouldn't use it.

Edited by bizzard