Where to hire, in June, in France

geehils

Featured Posts

I'm looking for two weeks holiday on the French Canals, this June.

Probably flying Ryanair/Easyjet to get there, but I might be tempted to drive if it's mid France.

I don't want to get into a precession of boats, preferring rural quiet and beautiful.

Suggestions as to where and who to hire from would be much appreciated.

I don't know if it helps, but UK waterways I like, very much, are Leicester arm of the GU, Ashton, Shroppie, South Oxford, Thames, and (out of season) Llangollen.

Thanks in anticipation of all your thoughts - appreciated. 

Speak to Blue Water Marine in Yorkshire. They book a number of French waterways hols. We have used them twice and are using them again in June. We hire pénichettes from them, which are very comfortable and surprisingly easy to drive (considering that they have wheel steering).

An easy base to get to is Agen. Fly to Bordeaux, 'bus into the city, train to Agen and the hire base is literally ten minutes' walk from Agen railway station. That's on the Canal de Garonne. I recommend going along this canal as far as Buzet then going down the lock flight on to the magical River Baise.

Don't expect the French canals to be like any of the English ones which you mention. They have their own atmosphere and charm.

1 hour ago, geehils said:

Thanks Athy, pénichettes look like fun!

Indeed they are. The one in your picture ( a 935, named after its length in metres) is exactly the kind which we hire. They're about ten feet wide, which makes them pleasantly spacious.

17 hours ago, Athy said:

Indeed they are. The one in your picture ( a 935, named after its length in metres) is exactly the kind which we hire. They're about ten feet wide, which makes them pleasantly spacious.

Any idea how wide that is in metres? Ian 

20 hours ago, Athy said:

That is some boat, almost 1km long :D

Blimey, all the comedians are out this morning. I sometimes have a similar thought when I see one of those signs saying something like "Car Park 100m" - why would they send motorists to a car park a hundred miles away, except perhaps to ease congestion in their town and send it someplace else?

Actually, the boat's fine in a straight line but you have to take great care steering it round sharp bends.

• 4 weeks later...

There is also the. Brittany canals to consider not so well known and not so busy the midi is busy but sunny. The Burgundy canals in June are pretty peaceful but unfortunately no airports serviced from U.K. but easy by road. Locoboat is in all these locations as is Le Boat but these are cruisers.