Recommendations Please

Rocket

Featured Posts

Hello all,

We have just moved to the UK all the way from New Zealand. We are living in Retford and have been wondering along the local canal a lot.

We have two boys 11 & 13 so would like some advice from members as to where would be great for us to experience our first canal trip.

We don't mind having to travel to get to a good starting point. A bit of a mixture of nice scenery, pubs and we do want to experience lochs.

Thank you :)

Just to get a feel for the canals and a beautiful Lock Flight (and you can hire locally) I'd go for a day out to Foxton Locks (https://www.foxtonlocks.org.uk) which isn't that far from Retford - about 70 miles - that, I think, will give you a good introduction. Two good pubs (Foxton Locks in and Bridge 61) and a tearooms at the top of the flight.

You'll need to head for Scotland if you want to experience lochs...  

If OTOH you mean locks, well most canals will provide plenty of opportunity but a good place to start would be the Napton Junction area where there are several hire bases.  From here you can go up/down the Grand Union (3 directions) or the North/South Oxford. The South Oxford is probably the most picturesque route, but I reckon the GU towards Birmingham or London would give a more rounded experience simply because the locks are wide, and you will likely interact with other boaters. If nothing else they will tell you where the best pubs/shops are.  

For some reason the English canals are very popular with folks from the Antipodes, we've met dozens of hirers from Oz and NZ and also quite a few that own boats over here.