pump out procedure

wullie

Featured Posts

i am looking for correct way to complete pump out, i have been told to put the hose down toilet bowl and run while emptying tank, not sure about this will the water get into tank without flushing or is there something else i have to do? Its a macerator type toilet.

1 minute ago, wullie said:

i am looking for correct way to complete pump out, i have been told to put the hose down toilet bowl and run while emptying tank, not sure about this will the water get into tank without flushing or is there something else i have to do? Its a macerator type toilet.

NO

Putting hose down toilet bowl is fine for dump through toilets and makes sense but do it with you macerator and you will flood your boat. To rinse either use the fitted rinse whole or after pumping out use same hole to rinse out. Just one point is that if its a macerator bog then it will use loads of water each flush so rinsing out is not always needed. I never rinse ours out as its about 95 percent water anyway.

If you use the toilet bowl, then unless you keep flushing the toilet when the hose is running you will overflow the toilet bowl.  I think it is a bad idea.

Normally there is a second capped hole next to the pump out hole marked rinse.  If you don't have a rinse 'hole' it is more normal to pump-out the tank, then pause the pump out machine and run some water down the pump-out hole, rock the boat to mix it up and pump-out.

Added - You beat me -I need to learn to type faster.

Edited by Chewbacka

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Pull up at pump out station.

Pay your money.

Walk away from the pump out station and look at anything other then your boat, preferably at least 1/4 mile away.

Stroll back to boat when operation is over.

Drive off.

I am in agreement with that for most times but I dont pay for my pumpouts so I do my own to ensure its done correctly. I have in the past had crap half empty situations when done by someone else.

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Pull up at pump out station.

Pay your money.

Walk away from the pump out station and look at anything other then your boat, preferably at least 1/4 mile away.

Stroll back to boat when operation is over.

Drive off.

Do it yourself everytime unless you have a local pumpout run by somebody who you know can do a proper pumpout, the art of the proper pumpout is dying out.

Last year we stopped at a canalside marina on the Middlewich arm operated by two young ladies who looked like they were there as part of a fashion show rather than to do pumpouts. Pump out nozzle inserted (but no window to allow inspection of the flow), ran pump for less than a minute, removed nozzle, asked for £17,

..............Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Do it yourself everytime unless you have a local pumpout run by somebody who you know can do a proper pumpout, the art of the proper pumpout is dying out.

Last year we stopped at a canalside marina on the Middlewich arm operated by two young ladies who looked like they were there as part of a fashion show rather than to do pumpouts. Pump out nozzle inserted (but no window to allow inspection of the flow), ran pump for less than a minute, removed nozzle, asked for £17,

..............Dave

...to which request your response was...?

I explained the concept of the rinse out, and also the idea of rocking the boat whilst rinsing. They said they new all all that but they could see my wife was in the bathroom and didn't want to upset her (she was indeed in the bathroom ready to send a load of water down the bog). I think we "agreed" that they would go back to the shop and I would do the pump out.

.............Dave

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

Similar experience here - most / many boatyards pump out into a tank for which they have to pay to be emptied. This is expensive - even more so now that lots of folks use Blue in their loos. The residue is treated as hazardous waste. Sooo - they try to get away with extracting as little fluid as they can.

SO I do the pumpout myself, relying on the timer built into LeeSan's unit - which many / most yards use.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Similar experience here - most / many boatyards pump out into a tank for which they have to pay to be emptied. This is expensive - even more so now that lots of folks use Blue in their loos. The residue is treated as hazardous waste. Sooo - they try to get away with extracting as little fluid as they can.

SO I do the pumpout myself, relying on the timer built into LeeSan's unit - which many / most yards use.

I can recommend the pumpout in Kings Bromley Marina. It is staffed by boaters, normally ladies but they know what they are doing.

I've used two pumpouts where pressing the stop buton ends the operation - it is not a 'pause' button.  They both pumped for 15 minutes and I would time them so that I turned the flushing water off a minute or so before the pump stopped.  If you use your weight (on the gunnel) to can tip the boat to get the last dregs out.  Helps if you know whether the suction pipe goes to the ouboard or inboard side of the tank

I have used pump-outs where the pause button stops the pump but does not pause the timer, and where it pauses both the pump and timer.  In fact I got a free pump-out once on the G&S as arrived at pump-out to find it paused, connected up and it ran for at least 8 mins.   As an aside, they have even fixed the pump-out at Sharpness though it took about a year.

On 09/03/2017 at 13:40, Chewbacka said:

I have used pump-outs where the pause button stops the pump but does not pause the timer, and where it pauses both the pump and timer.  In fact I got a free pump-out once on the G&S as arrived at pump-out to find it paused, connected up and it ran for at least 8 mins.   As an aside, they have even fixed the pump-out at Sharpness though it took about a year.

Was it the one on Llanthony pontoons in Gloucester docks? That one runs for about 20mins. We have pumped out two boats and still had some time left !

Steve

3 minutes ago, Just Heaven said:

Was it the one on Llanthony pontoons in Gloucester docks? That one runs for about 20mins. We have pumped out two boats and still had some time left !

Steve

Nope, down at Saul Junction.  The one at Sharpness used to run for about 8 mins and very slowly, got about 2/3 out, then it broke and after about a year they finally fixed it, so if you are down this way again we are back to 3 pump out sites on the G&S.