Stair lift to disabled access

colin1325

Featured Posts

Not a stairlift, but more like a lorry tailgate, we had a hydraulic lift on the old Bradford on Avon based K&A trip boat, it worked on 12v electricirty, but could also be wound by hand if the power failed. Wherter the new trip boat has one I do not know, but it may be worth giving the Trust a ring. There were also some disabled access hire boats further down the canal , From recollection they were run by a charity called Bruce boats, they may be able to lead you to a suitable access system.

Normal stairlifts are of course typically designed for use in a house: run from a mains power supply, going up a whole flight of stairs often with a corner or two, and not subject to the great outdoors. However the motor and chain mechanism are encased to protect the user and to resist the odd liquid spill, so a bit of exposure to weather may not be a problem. Also each installation is put together from a kit of parts chosen for the particular staircase, so customisation for a boat should be possible. Normally it's all bolted downwards into the floor, but I guess any decent boatyard would have someone with enough engineering knowhow to fix one to a boat deck, and of course to design it not to obstruct things. I think it would be important to leave it covered against the weather when not in use, to help protect the chain from rust in particular.

There is a second hand market because a stairlift is often only needed for a few years from when a person starts having difficulty with stairs to when they can no longer live at home. But when we recently removed the stairlift from my mother's house after about four years' use, no-one was interested in buying it, in fact they wanted money to take it away although it was in full working order, telling us it was an obsolete model. Maybe when buying a stairlift it's wise to begin by looking to buy secondhand and only go for a new one if you have to, and even for the unusual configuration needed for a boat the dealers may have the right combination of parts or be able to source the missing parts from the manufacturer.

Lochrin Belle,  the WB I drive for ReUnion Canal Boats, has a wheelchair lift fitted under the rear door and hatch. The platform takes a wheelchair with occupant and a carer. Can't find any photos of it, but I could take a few tomorrow.

It's hydraulic, with the pump and controls powered  from 240V supplied by the generator. (Lochrin Belles's generator is running while she's in use: cooking and lighting is also 240V.)

11 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

, From recollection they were run by a charity called Bruce boats, they may be able to lead you to a suitable access system.

They are based at Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, the boats are now managed by the Kennet and Avon canal trust. I believe all the boats are disabled access, and are wide beam.  Definitely worth getting in touch with them for advice.

What you need will depend on who it's for I suppose; a stairlift is for someone who has difficulty going up or down stairs (or in your case getting on or off a boat) but is able to walk and get on and off the chair. Or do you need a wheelchair lift for someone with less mobility?

Either way it's important to consider the power supply, in particular whether you will need a shoreline, and have one available at the places you'll use the lift.

One of my local churches has installed an external stairlift, but they have had to build a hut round the top landing to protect the chair (and motor) assembly from the weather. They usually need mains to keep the battery fully charged, the battery is in the travelling chair assembly, the lifting is usually done by the battery, the track usually has  charging station at the top and/or the bottom.

Any stair lift will need serious foundations, will need mains, and may need planning permission. There are also devices to lift people into swimming pools -none are cheap. 

Ambulances with a ramp access often have a winch to pull patients in chairs up and release them down gently. A ramp could be a simpler thing to find/buy/improvise and a winch will be available from lots of places.   www.oh-vehicleconversions.co.uk/ Is one known and respected supplier of ambulance bits, could they supply you a folding ramp and 12volt winch.

You will be very unlikely to have or get permission to have any hard fitting to overlap the canal boundary, so you will still need to get people onto the boat from the bank/dock side. You should also consider your emergency evacuation procedures so that any person needing a motor to get them aboard can be evacuated during an emergency, possibly by strangers including the fire service.

Edited by Arthur Brown

If a vertical scissor lift would do, as has already been advised, John Slee was advertising one that it was planned to fit to his boat, but where unfortunately his late wife never got to use it.

However that was over a month ago, so I have no idea whether it is still available>

This is what he said at the time......

760 x 570 mm Hydraulic Platform Lift with 230V Power Pack
UNUSED - AS NEW

Originally purchased from Power-Lift in Denmark this bespoke lift was due to be delivered on 31 January 2017. This was going to be used as a wheelchair lift for use on our trad stern style narrowboat, Epiphany. We had modifications to the boat made to allow the wheelchair to go from the front cabin to the stern. This allows easy access at the stern. Unfortunately, due to my wife's death, it was not required after all and delivery will be made as soon as practical. It could be delivered direct to the purchaser from Leeds, by arrangement with the carrier.

Specification as follows:
Rated Load: 350 kg, distributed
Platform: 760 x 570 mm smooth plate, symmetric over
bottom frame
- anti trap bar fitted
Bottom frame: 700 x 450 mm
- blocking device fitted
- adjustable platform support legs to give 20 mm
of positive adjustment
Closed height: 230 mm
Vertical travel: 700 mm in approx. 25 Sec.
Armrollers: Ø52 mm
Grease nipples:On all DX bearings ( 13 off. )
Limit switch: Set at 670 mm of travel - adjustable
Power pack: 0.75 kW, 1 x 230V, 50 Hz ; 3.5 Litre tank
- separate in a drip tray 325x590 mm
- 3 m hose and quick release self sealing coupling
- 24V DC, lowering valve, with hold to run
emergency lowering valve
- control station on 3m cable, UP, DOWN and
emergency buttons
Surface: Hot dipped galvanised, stainless steel axle and
cylinder pins
- cylinders painted grey, 2-component Acrylic resin

Price: Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

Note: The pictures below are NOT of the lift offered
above, but taken from the Power-Lift website, for
illustrative purposes only. The lift for sale is
galvanised, not painted blue, to protect it better in a
marine environment. It does not have a chain-mail
safety guard.

This was designed for a narrow wheelchair. If a
larger wheelchair's footprint is larger than the
platform, an extension plate could be added. I can
refer you to my UK contact at Power-Lift who can
advise.

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If a vertical scissor lift would do, as has already been advised, John Slee was advertising one that it was planned to fit to his boat, but where unfortunately his late wife never got to use it.

However that was over a month ago, so I have no idea whether it is still available>

This is what he said at the time......

I suggested this at the beginning of the thread but the OP hasn't come back on it. In fact he has not come back.Full Stop

Edited by ditchcrawler

Our private boat is wheelchair accessible via a platform lift inside the cabin. It was put in when the boat was built (by Mel Davis) and was built from scratch rather than putting in a scissor lift which would have been much more expensive. PM if you need more information.