Engine Oil Change

system 4-50

How Do You Change Your Engine Oil?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How do you change your engine oil?

• I never bother to change it
    • I sell the boat and buy another
    • I use the built-in oil pump
    • I drain via the sump plug
    • I use a Pela pump
    • The butler does it
    • I suck it out with a straw through the dipstick hole
    • I am electric so no oil
    • I don't have an engine
    • I don't have a boat
    • I haven't discovered where the engine is yet
    • I have a steam engine so no oil
    • I get the boatyard to do it

Featured Posts

The boat owner next to us just took his to the boatyard - why is that not on the list or did you think it was too outrageous an option to include?

Edited by Neil2
grammar
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mross said:

My engine burns so much oil I don't need to!

This may be a joke but my first boat had an old LR 2 lister that leaked so much oil I just topped it up each day and never changed the oil in 5 years lol.

I notice there's a few able to drain the oil out of the sump plug.  I was browsing a motoring forum recently and surprisingly discovered that a lot of DIYers now remove their oil via the dipstick with a pump. Not, apparently, because it's easier but it's reckoned to be a better way though I can't recall the reasoning.  It seems counter intuitive to me.

46 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I notice there's a few able to drain the oil out of the sump plug.  I was browsing a motoring forum recently and surprisingly discovered that a lot of DIYers now remove their oil via the dipstick with a pump. Not, apparently, because it's easier but it's reckoned to be a better way though I can't recall the reasoning.  It seems counter intuitive to me.

From what I remember it was almost impossible to remove the plug without oil running down your arm and in your sleeve  

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Less messy ?

And lots of modern cars are closed in underneath and need jacking or lifting to get to the 3 thousand hidden fixings holding them on....which usually break off anyway when you try to undo them !!

Or. just poke a pela down the oil ole and pump......