Identifying a Stewarts & Lloyds boat

D. W. Walker

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, billh said:

Models are all very well, but can't beat working on or driving the real thing (10RB and 22RB). To digress even further, I was test driving a Ruston loco (11/13DL)this afternoon  after a very overdue oil change. Standard repair kit for all these is a hammer, welding set and some chuffin' big spanners.:D

Couldn't agree more! I did a stint on tower cranes for a year, nothing like sitting 100 plus feet up swaying with the load and countering swing and slew to place accurately. Never had the chance on locos or crawlers. Slogging spanner and a 5lb'er was a weekly task - and don't drop anything!!

Edited by Derek R.

In terms of the rivetted patch on the bows, I assume that as suggested, it is a battle scar from a tube being loaded badly or shifting in transit, because it does look rather "home made" and there isn't one on the opposite side.

Interesting that the maker is Bantock, I had thought so due to the distinctive shape of the bows but didn't have the confidence to be sure. Plus, it seems that many people always call all old unidentified rivetted boats "Bantocks", in the same way that all vacuum cleaners are called "Hoovers", even if they are made by Dyson! More importantly, it's another piece in the jigsaw puzzle.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add some pics of the stern of this mystery boat in the vague hope that somebody might recognise where or who put the motor counter on. You can see from the pics that most of the upper part retains the cut down rivetted hull, with only the curved stern being completely new. The lower part has long swims and is all welded; there is a weedhatch above the propeller location, and this is clearly all "new" (i.e. 1990's?) I think it's reasonable to assume that she was shortened to 58' at the same time.

Because the new parts are welded not rivetted then that rules out the yards which persisted in rivetting everything (such as Harris Bros?), but sadly doesn't shorten the list very much! Anybody got any ideas?

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...