Victron Charger Poorly or Dead ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, DaveandDebby said:

Whoops, apologies for coming back in all of a sudden.

Just noticed. Shot with the two suspect resistors and diodes above ? I can see two tantalum capacitors in there as well.

Tantalum caps are notorious for giving up the ghost if polarity to them is reversed even once. So there's one to check. Could be 1001 things, but the top of my list is..... check the voltage regulators and references on the boards. 

I can't think of any reason why the tants would have seen reverse polarity however I'd replace them as a matter of course anyway. Hateful things that do mini Mt Vesuvius impressions. 

Certainly for the main input fuses to blow the fault is likely to be at the front end - main caps or voltage regs - but as said, could be 101 things. 

Update:

1) New, in the box, with warranty Victron 12/50 charger (same as the 'dead one') Purchased for £350 inc. of VAT & TNT 24 hour delivery (that's about £300 below RRP  - you have to shop  around)

2) Old unit going to 'Sellweb' ** for a FoC quotation for repair. Delivery £6.00 with Hermes (£20 with Royal Mail). They do, do Victron repairs so know the 'layout'. If repair is reasonable the I'll get in done and have a 'spare'.

** Pearley - thanks for the suggestion in post number ??. They appear to be know Victon (and other makes) and say they regularly repair inverters and combis.

Worth keeping their name 'on-file'

• 2 weeks later...

I sent the Victron off for repair to "Sellweb" (as suggested earlier in the thread), they have just come back to me with a quotation.

"The power supply is faulty and will require a full re-build. This is 10 days labour, plus parts and will come to £350 + VAT (ie £420)"

The cost of the return is £15 + VAT (it cost me £5 to send it with 'My Hermes' and I got a £5 off next shipment voucher)

I told them to scrap it - no doubt they will strip it and gets some useful 'bits' - but it was of no use to me and not worth throwing another £18 at it.

The new unit I purchased with warranty and including VAT & Next day delivery was £350.

It is no wonder people say we live in a 'throw away society' when it costs 25+% more to repair something than to buy it new.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's what I thought - but they said 10 days (maybe it is one hour per day), maybe they needed to 'plan it in',  Irrespective, at that price its a no-go.

I guess 10 hours at £30/hr + parts - might be somewhere near.

Yup, 10 hours at £35 sounds about right. Of course Victron would simply pick a new psu off the shelf and fit it in about 10 minutes but it's anyone's guess what they'd charge for one.