boat hire

nduce

Featured Posts

My group and I intend to hire at least one or two narrow boats in May 2018, we would like to be able to cruise between Bristol and Reading on the Kennet / Avon Canal over a two week period, preferably on a one-way basis. It would be nice to start in Reading but not a must.

Our previous trips:

1)      Started and finished in Willington via circuit up through Manchester

2)      Started and finished in Wolverhampton via Llangollen in Wales

3)      Started and finished in Northampton via the Leicester Ring

As you can appreciate these trips have been a little rushed considering the time frame, my travelling companions are ready to jump ship (narrow boat) if the next trip is not more leisurely with more time to take in the local sites.

We are considering the Kennett Avon  Canal for our next trip and would like to be able to hire one or two narrow boats on a one-way basis which would make for a far more leisurely trip (and lower the risk of the crew jumping ship).

At this stage we would be looking at least two narrow boats, one boat with three double beds/ berths (preferably with a centre door allowing the centre berth access to the outside without compromising the other two berths, while alongside) and the other boat with two double beds/berths.

With some of the research that I have done so far, it seems that it could take two days just to go both ways through Caeon Locks, which would eat into our two week window if we had to hire boats on a return basis rather that one-way trip.

Is there any hire boat companies that would consider the one way option? 

I think you may struggle with one way hire. The only hire company I know does this is Shire Cruisers in Yorkshire. You can hire from Aldermaston through the ABC hire group. Two weeks is feasible to reach Bath and return at an average of 6 hours a day over two weeks. But surely on an out and back trip you can go at a pace with which the crew are happy and turn round on the middle day?

Caen Hill will take half a day in each direction if you have two boats and crews that can work together. It will depend upon the date and how busy it is but it is really three flights of locks with the top six locks being quite spread out. I don't think there is anything to stop you mooring overnight within the flight other than on the middle 16 locks which is the section you see in the photos and is padlocked overnight.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

6 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Anglowelsh used to do one way hire from some of their bases, so might be worth asking them.

http://www.anglowelsh.co.uk/Home

Used to seems to be the fact of it. I can't find anything to suggest they still do and they don't have two bases on the K&A.

Although in two weeks Oxford to Bath would be possible.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

23 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Used to seems to be the fact of it. I can't find anything to suggest they still do and they don't have two bases on the K&A.

Although in two weeks Oxford to Bath would be possible.

JP

I seem to remember Anglowesh used to do one way hire from Hilperton to Oxford but they don't appear to have a base there anymore. 

Edited by Flyboy

Just now, Flyboy said:

I seem to remember Anglowesh used to do one way hire from Hilperton to Oxford but I don't they have a base there anymore. 

It's ABC leisure at Hilperton now, it is worth the OP asking if they will do one way.

I think you will be lucky to get a one way boat. Why not do a "there and back", it has the huge advantage you can be as slow or as fast as you want as long as you turn round at half time! That way you can guarantee no desertions!