Watford Locks

Alan Wheeler

Featured Posts

This Saturday I am planning to cruise down from Crick marina and through Crick tunnel towards Watford top lock. Is it possible and permitted to turn our 60' boat in the pound after the Watford top lock nr.7 to head back to Crick? Should we contact the lock keeper?

We have recently bought our boat and want to gain experience with locks before bringing the boat down to Cropredy. Also, it's a good opportunity to see the Watford staircase.

Many thanks for any advice.

Alan

5 minutes ago, Alan Wheeler said:

This Saturday I am planning to cruise down from Crick marina and through Crick tunnel towards Watford top lock. Is it possible and permitted to turn our 60' boat in the pound after the Watford top lock nr.7 to head back to Crick? Should we contact the lock keeper?

We have recently bought our boat and want to gain experience with locks before bringing the boat down to Cropredy. Also, it's a good opportunity to see the Watford staircase.

Many thanks for any advice.

Alan

I am not sure there is a lock keeper this time of the year.

I would have thought that turning a boat below the top lock would at best be very tricky, there are some strong currents and there in not much space.

if you want to play with a lock, how about a trip down the Welford    arm.

22 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would have thought that turning a boat below the top lock would at best be very tricky, there are some strong currents and there in not much space.

if you want to play with a lock, how about a trip down the Welford    arm.

The lock keeper use to moor his boat in the arm there in front of the house, there should be tons of room. But I'm with you, up the Welford and and stop at the pub before returning

watford.JPG

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Proper Charlie said:

Do you mean you want to wind before reaching the top lock? If so, then yes it would be possible at the winding hole about 300 yards or so before getting there (heading from Crick).

Hi, no I meant turn just after the top lock in the pound. We may brave the flight, but we won't have much time on Saturday.

If you haven't done locks before then Watford flight can be scary..others will no doubt disagree but I found them quite frightening as they are so deep and if there is not a lock keeper, I think for someone not experienced it might put you off...is Foxton open? They have lock keepers and are really good at giving advice and talking you through and theres heaps of room to turn at the bottom or even wind at the top if u are short of time. 

56 minutes ago, patty-ann said:

If you haven't done locks before then Watford flight can be scary..others will no doubt disagree but I found them quite frightening as they are so deep and if there is not a lock keeper, I think for someone not experienced it might put you off...is Foxton open? They have lock keepers and are really good at giving advice and talking you through and theres heaps of room to turn at the bottom or even wind at the top if u are short of time. 

Patty-Ann is right I guess, if your new to locks Watford maybe a little daunting. Foxton is too far for a day return from Crick. Maybe it would be good to wind at the hole which is around 5 minutes walk to Watford top lock. You could then moor up and walk to the locks and watch and learn.

Ian.

• Greenie 1

No room to turn in the flight.

There is a turning hole just after the last bridge before the top lock.

Turn there, reverse to the lock landing, walk to locks.

Done many times from Crick.

Bod

22 hours ago, matty40s said:

Keep their boat at Buckby Top Lock, live on it in the Summer .

I won't say where they are moored for their privacy but it's not there!!

Mick's now retired & Crystal works for a local hire fleet. Both are well when I last spoke to them a few months ago. They are still living aboard full time. 

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

I  am thinking of the couple who used to work Foxton and Watford flights, green Fernie boat called Emerald? ?

They used to work both lots but their boat was and indeed still is a 60ft Colecraft trad called Ragamuffin. They were at Foxton for many years then moved to Watford for a few more before working at a few hire bases.

May I say the locks were run a lot better when they were in charge. Woe betide you if you upset Crystal! 

Lockies were in attendance at Watford yesterday (Friday). Talk to them and see what they think.

If there's a bit of traffic about then winding in that pound might be tricky as the pound isn't very long between the locks (although it's very wide!)