Going rates - welding/labour?

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks Barge  - I didn't, but will next time.

This is one of the "Better safe than sorry" examples,

I'm sad to say that one of my friends who did steelwork for 30 years, without eye protection lost an eye a couple of years ago, and he's screaming at everone he can see through the only eye he has left now, and he's telling them how stupid they are, and how much he regrets not having used goggles or a mask then, but sadly enough his regrets don't give him his lost eye back.

Good luck with the jobs that are left to be done on your boat.

Peter.

10 hours ago, bargemast said:

This is one of the "Better safe than sorry" examples,

I'm sad to say that one of my friends who did steelwork for 30 years, without eye protection lost an eye a couple of years ago, and he's screaming at everone he can see through the only eye he has left now, and he's telling them how stupid they are, and how much he regrets not having used goggles or a mask then, but sadly enough his regrets don't give him his lost eye back.

Good luck with the jobs that are left to be done on your boat.

Peter.

If you make the decision not to use eye protection for lower risk jobs like drilling small holes the chances of loosing an eye are quite low, especially if you wear glasses. What surprises me in the number of people, including some "professionals",  who use an angle grinder without ear defenders, this is not a calculated risk, it WILL damage your hearing.

..............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

If you make the decision not to use eye protection for lower risk jobs like drilling small holes the chances of loosing an eye are quite low, especially if you wear glasses. What surprises me in the number of people, including some "professionals",  who use an angle grinder without ear defenders, this is not a calculated risk, it WILL damage your hearing.

..............Dave

I have no evidence to support this, but would think drilling small holes would have a higher probability of breakage and hence possible eye damage.

I would agree regarding angle grinders.It always surprises me how loud they are, and I am guilty of not using ear defenders,so thanks for the reminder.

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I have no evidence to support this, but would think drilling small holes would have a higher probability of breakage and hence possible eye damage.

I would agree regarding angle grinders.It always surprises me how loud they are, and I am guilty of not using ear defenders,so thanks for the reminder.

I think I would agree with that. Lying on your back drilling holes above your head is when eye protection is 100% essential.

................Dave

Chap standing at a bus stop took out his glass eye and started bouncing it on the pavement. Another person asked him what he was doing. ''He replied'' There's a bus coming and I'm trying to see if there's any room on top.

• Greenie 2

On ‎7‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 19:57, bizzard said:

Chap standing at a bus stop took out his glass eye and started bouncing it on the pavement. Another person asked him what he was doing. ''He replied'' There's a bus coming and I'm trying to see if there's any room on top.

Why didn't he throw it in the air, that would have given him a better chance to see if there was any room on top ?

Normally all glass eye wearers are instructed about the proper use of their eyes, this chap must have forgotten the lesson.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

On 07/03/2017 at 18:57, bizzard said:

Oh Biz, you're a tonic!