1800 bmc problem?

Featured Posts

hi hope someone can advise on the following:

last year i had intermitent. engine smoking on start up and running idle, as soon as i put into gear and whilst running, no smoke. This winter had the engine serviced ie, changed oil, filter, fuel filter, system bled. Now takes a little longer to start, smokes much more and runs rough for about five minuets or so. smoking stops when moving. last winter had new injectors and glow plugs, injector pump has not been touched. have been told most bmc's will smoke but mine seems excessive. many thanks for any advise.

Edited by mac1
spelling

48 minutes ago, mross said:

If it stops smoking when your boat is moving I think  you have nothing to worry about.

22 minutes ago, cuthound said:

White smoke on startup is not unusual. You can get clouds of it if you use the pre-heaters for too long.

But by my reading of the initial post, even if it is not smoking when under way and under load, it is still doing so when in idle.

That doesn't sound ideal (or right).

Our never used to smoke much except at initial start up.  I never found that over using the heaters made it worse - probably the opposite in fact.

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Surely the pre Heaters would reduce white Smoke if left hot for a good while?

This is my experience.  Skimping on the time the heaters are run for makes smoke at start up time more likely.

If the amount the engine smokes has changed, is there any chance that the oil type and thickness has also been changed?

I would want to know more about those injectors. I am sure the 1.8 used pintaux nozzles but to the uninitiated it is all too easy to get them misidentified as pintle types. Both look the same except the pintaux has a sort of nipple in the middle of the "spray head" with a tiny hole in the side. This hole sprays into the hottest part of the pre-combustion chamber when cranking ad at low speed. If the nozzles have been swapped or the little hole is blocked then there will be poor combustion at low speed and smoke. Probably whitish soon after a cold starts and blackish on idle.

Trouble is not everyone is happy with taking an injector out to look.

Then there is the crimped heat shield/atomisation washer that sits under the injector nozzle and often gets left out or has two fitted.

If it is only after a cold start for say 10 minutes I am in the don't worry camp.

If this has just happened it could be air in the fuel line at the pump, or dirt in the injectors, or have you checked all injector fuel nuts pipes are fully tightened - no leaks?.

Or maybe the pump clamp has loosened to allowing the pump to slip back to a slightly retarded position.

You could advance the ignition slightly anyway to see if this works. 

It is more than a fingertight job - you will probably need a lever of sorts to in amongst the pipes force the pump to rotate against the rigid pipes..

That happened to me: white smoke filled the cutting like a thick fog. Advancing the ignition stopped the white smoke if completely.

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Do check the air filter before trying anything more expensive

Richard

If it has one.

Ours had something impressive looking, but what wasn't inside it made it little more than a decoration.

EDIT to be slightly more serious.....

For those of us who don't really "do" engines, why would a clogged filter produce smoke for an unloaded idling engine, but not one under load?

Edited by alan_fincher

I had a BMC 1.8 and the same issue after having the injectors cleaned - the (white) smoking was much worse.  Eventually resolved by advancing the timing quite a lot.  I don't know why it worked but it did. 

14 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I had a BMC 1.8 and the same issue after having the injectors cleaned - the (white) smoking was much worse.  Eventually resolved by advancing the timing quite a lot.  I don't know why it worked but it did. 

The 1.8 has a lengthy Timing Chain,it does stretch,Timing should be checked occasionaly