Our new life afloat

Maskerade

Featured Posts

We are not new to narrow boating but new to having our own boat. Looking for to getting afloat as often as possible and then permanently once we retire. Here are a couple of our boat before she goes for new windows and full repaint and blacking.DSC_0041.thumb.JPG.108644412b857a4800c6c29892149f34.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

It doesn't look like she has a C&RT registration - will you be keeping her on C&RT waters ? (if she isn't C&RT registered it may help if you register her)

Edit to add (found this)

Whiskey Me Away Built by Wharf House Narrowboats - Length : 21.3 metres ( 69 feet 11 inches ) - Beam : 2.1 metres ( 6 feet 11 inches ) - Draft : 0.7 metres ( 2 feet 4 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 48 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 517170 as a Powered Motor Boat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, ianali said:

Enjoy. Re the cabin paintwork have you considered trying a good polish before you commit to a new paintjob? The current paint looks like it might come back to a decent finish.

Ian.

This was my thought when I saw the close-up of the paintwork.  A slightly cutting polish would remove all the bloom and it is surprising what it can do to paintwork that hasn't been cared for in a while.

If the C&RT number is from when the boat was built, it must be about 2008/9 and shouldn't need repainting in that time.

3 minutes ago, dor said:

This was my thought when I saw the close-up of the paintwork.  A slightly cutting polish would remove all the bloom and it is surprising what it can do to paintwork that hasn't been cared for in a while.

If the C&RT number is from when the boat was built, it must be about 2008/9 and shouldn't need repainting in that time.

I think a wash and polish with carnauba Type wax would be very revealing.

Ian.

1 hour ago, dor said:

That's a Great Ouse number on the boat, starts with a G. The boat name is "Whisky..." not "Whiskey...", different stuff altogether :lol:

8 hours ago, dor said:

Still think the apintwork would come up well with a good polish...

Quite agree with that, certainly worth doing a test patch before getting into heavy money for a repaint. If cutting and polishing helps a bit but not enough, worth thinking about a coat of clear varnish?

Try cutting it with Farecla G3, followed by 2-3 coats of Craftmaster  Carnauba wax polish.

Expensive,  but brought mine up a treat. 

Don't be tempted to use T-Cut,  they have changed the recipe and it causes little balls of paint, which leave scratches, when used on soft paints like boat paints, but still OK on car paints, which are baked on.

I use International Polwax,  it brings oxidised paint up a treat and even shifts the tar from the chimney with some added elbow grease. Just wash the surfaces then apply sparingly and then buff to a shine.:D