Boat moving

Maskerade

Featured Posts

Hi  looking for someone to move our narrow boat from Pillings lock to North Kilworth yard. Rang Nigel Carton but he's rammed, has to be there on or around the 12th of March. This will be our home once all the works done and we are also novices at this. 

1 hour ago, Maskerade said:

New to all this so just put some posts like this or in other forums on here like I said we're novices :))

Yep just post any old crap on any other thread or reply to this and thats enough you can message him then.

6 minutes ago, Maskerade said:

Hi can you take the boat for us we know it will cost us but people on here have recommended you

I think that is for Matty yes?

Proper bloke.........well if he ever gets the beer in :D

Its not going to happen I'm afraid.

CRT stoppage Notice : 03/03/2017 @ 16:36

As part of works to repair Birstall Lock, we have identified a void under the lock floor.

In order to carry out works to grout this void, additional time will be required and so we need to extend the closure of the lock up to the 17th March.

Edited by matty40s

There is a plan B, to do the Leicester ring anti-clockwise, but it comes with two major snags:

1. Somewhere along the Soar, Trent, T&M, Coventry, North Oxford, GU there are likely to be other winter stoppages still in place to make it a non-starter. I haven't checked this, but I'll be surprised if it's all open.

2. IF it is all open, it would be hard going to do it in the five days 8-12 March. Canalplan gives it as 54 hours of boating, so if a good crew starts at the crack of dawn each day and keeps moving until sunset eating on the go, and neither the Trent or Soar is in flood, and the boat is up to the job, it may be possible.

In the improbable event that all the above conditions are satisfied, I'd be mad enough to give it a go, but you'd probably need someone else with boating experience too to do it in the time.

Basically you need to give the yard a ring to re-arrange, unless you're going to move the boat by road.

We're hanging around to go down the Glascote locks, husband spoke to the maintenance men last Friday and they thought the locks might be open Wednesday (tomorrow). Saw a boater yesterday who said the locks now have water in them (testing?). So keep watching https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/7479/locks-12-and-13-glascote-top-and-bottom-locks I guess! 

I spoke to the chaps at 3pm yesterday, they had just got the bottom lock bottom gates on and were cutting the wood for the edges. The stop planks are all still in and pumps/ladders and human beings still in the lock.etc

The foreman said Friday lunchearly afternoon. 

Edited by matty40s

If the OP wants to consider Plan B as outlined above, it sounds to me as if Glascote would be open just in time not to be much of a problem, he'd be getting there around Friday lunchtime. But the Trent is the showstopper; any prospect of that calming down? And are there any other stoppages in the way? I've heard rumours there's the odd tree down here and there at the moment?

The Soar is still in red as I speak, should be amber tommorow, Trent will have dropped enough by Thurs or Fri, however more rain forecast and the catchment area is very soggy.

No other closures to worry about that I am aware of as I believe Fradley has opened today.

Nothing to report on Glascote locks, top locks filled, bottom lock's still a work in progress as said. All the work has been approved by the C&RT and workmen suggests 4pm Friday, when the men go home.

Strangely a large fish had managed to isolate itself in a side chamber of the bottom lock, poor thing's been there for 3 weeks.  Glad a workman flipped it into deeper water.

Hi everyone thanx for all the advice like Matty40 and those who have offered to help crew the boat. Birstall stoppage is on now till the 17th of March and the Soar outside Pillings is in flood. Not a good combo for novices. We have now arranged to have the boat moved in April to North Kilworth wharf for her repainted, repairs and to bring her back to her very best. If see Whisky Me Away around the Grand Union give us a wave