Recommendation for external paint above water line

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Craftmaster is quite amazing paint, but not cheap.

Watch all of these videos, pausing and rewinding as appropriate, and you will know as much as you can about boat painting, in a relatively short space of time.

http://www.johnbarnard.biz/tips-tricks-videos/

Thanks, interesting set of videos. I just wonder what he charged the client!

21 hours ago, Mikexx said:

Thanks, interesting set of videos. I just wonder what he charged the client!

Useful aren't they. My perception of a paint job like that is around £10,000, but that's just an uneducated guess.

With no painting skills, I followed the videos to paint my roof hand rails, and they are amazing, as mentioned by a few club members, not just myself :) 

The rails have put the rest of the boat to shame, so I hope I can do a bit of the rest of it this year.

Edited by Richard10002

On 05/03/2017 at 13:18, Richard10002 said:

Craftmaster is quite amazing paint, but not cheap.

Watch all of these videos, pausing and rewinding as appropriate, and you will know as much as you can about boat painting, in a relatively short space of time.

http://www.johnbarnard.biz/tips-tricks-videos/

Richard, thank you so much for these videos. I plan to re-paint my boat this summer and have found it hard to find proper info, they will be very useful.

Mine is an old boat and it would be difficult to get a smooth surface, even back to the steel.  At the moment it's painted up to the catwalk but I was thinking of taking this off and just using bitumen up to that level.  What's the general opinion of this? Does it look terrible or is it OK?

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

I used Weathershield (roller and brush lay-off) on our narrowboat and it is still looking pretty good after two and a half years. Used Weathershield on a previous boat also with good and lasting result.

The old oil-based stuff or the new water-based?

At some point in the near future I want to paint my roof. Sections of the roof are painted with a non slip surface, I don't fancy taking it back to bare metal and starting from scratch, I was just hoping to paint over. However there is a lot of grime and green moss on the non slip surface, I was wondering if I could remove this with a scrubbing brush and a weak bleach solution.

any suggestions on how to prep the roof and what paints are needed would be appreciated, thanks

10 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Silicones, aren't they what you end up with on your head at the end of a stag do?

I watched an episode of 'motorway cops in New Zealand' yesterday. They stopped a chap who was staggering along the hard shoulder wearing a cone on his head. They laughed at him and decided to drive him home for his own safety. Just as they approached his house he shouted out "Where's me cone?"  When they told him they'd left it at the roadside he gave a really mournful "Awwww..."

5 hours ago, Bewildered said:

At some point in the near future I want to paint my roof. Sections of the roof are painted with a non slip surface, I don't fancy taking it back to bare metal and starting from scratch, I was just hoping to paint over. However there is a lot of grime and green moss on the non slip surface, I was wondering if I could remove this with a scrubbing brush and a weak bleach solution.

any suggestions on how to prep the roof and what paints are needed would be appreciated, thanks

How about a jet washer, should remove the wild life and help you identify any low adhesion paint.

From my limited, but recent experience, I would consider whether you want to use oil based paints or cellulose. I don't believe Dulux Weathershield is suitable for metals - it is micro-porus to allow wood to breath - but it's prolly ok going over previous coats as then the boat metal will still be waterproof.

I used two kinds of paint recently - an oil based (for marine use) and a cellulose based (also for marine use). I found the cellulose far easier to use as far as getting a consistent quality middling finish, just with roller. Oil I found more hit and miss- it had promise but I don't like brush marks at all. Working alone it was difficult to roller then brush in a timely, ordered manner.

For my next attempt I will be using a semi gloss cellulose paint. Slightly thinned, move quick with the roller. It dries promptly. My experiences are with Jotun paints - they have quite a range of paint types. Not expensive either. Most decent places you can get whatever colour you like from one of the colour indexing systems (RAL or other).

The Dulux Weathershield datasheet includes painting on primed metal surface. Few paints are intended to be permeable with the exception of some woodstains. If I'm wrong I would appreciate being pointed in the direction of paint datasheets that say otherwise.

Nevertheless rather than the Weathershield series I would have though a more appropriate paint like the Dulux Metalshield series would be better for a narrowboat. Whether it is much different to the Weathershield Gloss, who knows. They also do an oil based Metalshield satin.