Shower Tiles or Panels

Featured Posts

Our boat has a shower cubicle, all very  neat, clean and tidy but it has vinyl panel walls which actually I don't mind but hate the colour. I was told that if the surface was 'keyed' I could tile over them but 1) it seems a lot of work and 2) maintenance would increase. I think the simplest thing would be to panel over the existing ones as there are some more attractive designs around and it would cost approx £120.   Does anyone have any comments or preferences?

I tend to use vinyl floor covering. If done neatly it can be put on in one piece so no chance of water getting to the panels and no grouting. It is available in zillions of desings and colours and works out cheap to do to boot. Looks fab, easy to clean etc etc.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I tend to use vinyl floor covering. If done neatly it can be put on in one piece so no chance of water getting to the panels and no grouting. It is available in zillions of desings and colours and works out cheap to do to boot. Looks fab, easy to clean etc etc.

+1.

I used Cushionflor, lovely, thick, soft, and easily manipulated stuff.  Stick it with good old fashioned Evostik Impact cement.  I found a 1" mosaic pattern in several shades of blue.

Just now, Murflynn said:

+1.

I used Cushionflor, lovely, thick, soft, and easily manipulated stuff.  Stick it with good old fashioned Evostik Impact cement.  I found a 1" mosaic pattern in several shades of blue.

Yes thats the stuff very supple especialy in the summer.

Don't know if it would work in your situation but acrylic panels are the way to go in my opinion.  I've just replaced some bathroom tiling at home with panels made up to spec by The Plastic People, first class service. 

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Don't know if it would work in your situation but acrylic panels are the way to go in my opinion.  I've just replaced some bathroom tiling at home with panels made up to spec by The Plastic People, first class service. 

How did you fit them, Neil?

In my case I specified pre-drilled holes so the panels are screwed to the wall (with plastic screw head covers) but you can glue them.  The company advise what to use,  you just have to be a bit careful with the semi opaque stuff if using adhesive I think the glue has to be white.   

Must admit by the time you have added on the extras such as curved corners, polished edges etc it isn't the cheapest solution but cleaning and regrouting tiles is my most hated job so to me it's worth it.  

14 hours ago, Neil2 said:

When ever I've seen plastic panels installed it always to me looks cheap and doesn't feel quality.  Think it's something to do with the light reflecting off it as it just shouts plastic.

36 minutes ago, Robbo said:

When ever I've seen plastic panels installed it always to me looks cheap and doesn't feel quality.  Think it's something to do with the light reflecting off it as it just shouts plastic.

I know what you mean, but the industry has come on a long way in recent years and some of the finishes on offer now you can't tell at a glace what they are. Our present house had some splashback panels I took to be opaque glass but they are acrylic.   

AFAIK all the panel solutions are "plastic" in one form or another, vinyl, acrylic etc.  

BTW all the good suppliers will send you a free sample if you see something you like but not sure what it will look like "in the flesh". 

7 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I know what you mean, but the industry has come on a long way in recent years and some of the finishes on offer now you can't tell at a glace what they are. Our present house had some splashback panels I took to be opaque glass but they are acrylic.   

AFAIK all the panel solutions are "plastic" in one form or another, vinyl, acrylic etc.  

BTW all the good suppliers will send you a free sample if you see something you like but not sure what it will look like "in the flesh". 

When I was remodelling I got various samples from a range of suppliers including some very expensive ones.  They all still seemed "cheap".  Indeed even when at Crick there was a fancy pants cat C electric wheel house roof widebeam that despite being exceptionally well fitted out still seemed to use these panels and they just let the finish down.  I plumped for Hardie Backer cement board and then tiles fixed with Sikaflex and a flexible grout (however I don't move the boat very often as we are more like caravanners :-)  )

My shower has the plastic paneling that locks together - sorry don't know it's name but its lightweight and comes in only a handful of finishes - I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I chose it and went for black with sparkly bits which I am quite pleased with in the end. You just need to be careful not to use abrasives on it when cleaning, so little and often is best rather than letting calcium build up on it.

The whole shower cubicle is fairly new with a ceramic tray,which the previous owners had set in slightly lower as they were both quite tall and a white bi-fold door.

The panels I have are very similar to the above and look very good quality, it's just that I don't like the colour. Maybe I am being too pedantic, my partner says we should just get on with enjoying the boat rather than looking for work that doesn't need doing!!!  I am changing the shower fittings though as the one that is/was in is a tiny mixer bar with 117mm centres, the type of thing you see in motorhomes or caravans, I don't know why they put that in as there is a concealed TMV so they could have used a standard mixer bar, anyway that is what I am replacing with when we go next week so if anyone one wants/needs a 117mm mixer valve shout up, you can have it !!!

nice job - that's the kind of product usually installed in a shower in a house.

like all rigid panels it relies on minimal disturbance and silicone sealant around the bottom.

as I said earlier, I would always use a flexible solution like Cushionflor in a boat that will suffer stresses and bumps.