Have I become a fallen woman???

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

About 5 years ago we had a conversation in the office about 60's children's TV programmes.

I was the only one who remembered "Four Feathers Falls" and "Space Patrol". The others insisted I was making it up, so thanks CWDF for removing any self doubt from my mind.

Other favourites of mine were "Ivor the Engine" and "Captain Pugwash (and it turns out there wasn't a "Seaman Staines" or "Master Bates"

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.asp

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

About 5 years ago we had a conversation in the office about 60's children's TV programmes.

I was the only one who remembered "Four Feathers Falls" and "Space Patrol". The others insitsed I was making it up, so thanks CWDF for removing any self doubt from my mind.

Other favourites of mine were "Ivor the Engine" and "Captain Pugwash (and it turns out there wasn't a "Seaman Staines" or "Master Bates"

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.asp

You are quite right about the no Seaman Staines etc.. But there was a Master Mate.

Did you know that Captain Pugwash was the first and only cartoon to be broadcast live.

:)

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I was the only one who remembered "Four Feathers Falls" 

I can still remember the title song, well bits of it

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Far and few, far and few,
            Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
      Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
            And they went to sea in a Sieve.

There's been a few folk on here over the years who have bought something approaching a sieve. Not too good for the cut, let alone the sea!

34 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Really scraping the barrel now:

Plus:

"The biggest, spottiest dog you ever did see." I loved the Woodentops, less so Tingha and Tucker, was terrified by Torchy. Worst of all though was The Singing Ringing Tree, which still gives me nightmares.

Funnily enough it was only recently a few of us of the same age were trying to figure out the classic Watch with Mother cycle of programmes Mon-Fri.   It's a bit like naming all of the Magnificant Seven (actors).

Just as everyone gets Yul Brynner, James Coburn, Charles Bronson etc but no-one ever remembers Brad Dexter (who?) we all recalled Andy Pandy, The Flowerpot Men, The Woodentops, and Rag Tag & Bobtail but none of us could think of the fifth.  

Eventually we resorted to Wikipedia which suggests that something called "Picture Book" was the missing prog.  I have no memory of this at all - does anyone else remember it?

21 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Funnily enough it was only recently a few of us of the same age were trying to figure out the classic Watch with Mother cycle of programmes Mon-Fri.   It's a bit like naming all of the Magnificant Seven (actors).

Just as everyone gets Yul Brynner, James Coburn, Charles Bronson etc but no-one ever remembers Brad Dexter (who?) we all recalled Andy Pandy, The Flowerpot Men, The Woodentops, and Rag Tag & Bobtail but none of us could think of the fifth.  

Eventually we resorted to Wikipedia which suggests that something called "Picture Book" was the missing prog.  I have no memory of this at all - does anyone else remember it?

Yes, I remember Picture Book. I think that one had a dachshund in it.

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Had a water cooler discussion in the office this afternoon and one of my not-so-young colleagues had no recollection at all of Are You Being Served?

I must be getting old...

Edited by David Mack

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Had a water cooler discussion in the office this afternoon and one of my not-so-young colleagues had no recollection at all of Are You Being Served?

I must be getting old...

And the only issued the remake last year :(

So I now know it was Footsie the cat..and yep the song is revolving around in my brain with a few missed words..I also remember busy Lizzie and the flower though not so clearly..

Tales of the riverbank..loved that.

If anyone wants a Watch with Mother fix...Andy Pandy/Woodentops and Bill and Ben..head out to London of museum, fab place to wander around, don't miss out the Victorian bit with it's Secret Garden and the room with the Olympic torch recreation and then there is small children play bit with those 3 old black and whites on a loop. Ive taken grand daughter there a few times and she jigs away to the songs.

On 02/03/2017 at 21:54, Dyertribe said:

I remember Twizzle!

I still refer to Mr Twizzle.

If someone asks me to pass them  something that is way out of my reach, I often say, "Crikey, who do you think I am - Mr Twizzle?!".

The daft thing is, I don't actually remember him, but my aunt who was only 7yrs older than me, was always talking about him. (off to look on utube to see if there are any videos of him).

On 02/03/2017 at 21:58, Dyertribe said:

Anyone remember Torchy?

Lawks, thank goodness I never saw Torchy, I just watched the video-  I would have had nightmares about the creepy little boy :o