Any ideas in who painted this

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Does anyone have an idea who painted this? I know it is at least twenty, possibly thirty years old, but I do not think it was by any of the old boatmen/dock painters. It was given to me many years ago, and was used on our boat for some while to store mooring hooks, windlasses etc. I no longer want it, and am undecided whether to put it on ebay, or take it down the tip.

Bread Bin 01.JPG

Bread Bin 02.JPG

Bread Bin 03.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi David

I agree that the bread bin is not likely the work of a dock or boatman painter. The flowers seem to bear a strong resemblance to those in the Ann Young book, the paint almost certainly Humbrol. Your call as to its fate...I wouldn't put it on Resolute! Someone may want to give it a good home.

Dave

Contorversial but underneath all that dark green paint is a "Jadeite" green (as it is known in The USA) Graniteware (enamel) bread bin, 

20-30 years ago they were very unfashionable and so someone did it a favour by painting over it and "saving" it. It appears they didn't prep the enamel properly as the paint is flaking off.

taken back to it's original green enamel it is worth anywhere between £25 and £60 depending on the condition of the enamel 

Go back 15 years and I was selling these for £60 to the USA at the rate of about 15 a month