Suitcase generator - recommendations?

RichM

Featured Posts

Just now, RichM said:

Looking for a suitcase style generator, ideally over 2kW, pure-sine wave and as quiet as possible. Any recommendations?

Cheers

RichM

Over 2kw is going to be the problem although Kipor used to do one. Honda are so much better than anything else but I dont think they do a suitcase style bigger than about 1600 doobreys. I have owned chinese stuff that lasts 12 months or so if used heavily. Would the 3kw honda be too big heavy? they are superb and very very quiet, forgotten the model number but I dont mean the building site jobby. Of course Honda are expensive in all guises but they are simply the best.

I'm not sure you'll find >2kW in suitcase style. The Honda EU20i is always popular but that's only 2kW peak - 1600W constant. As soon as you look at 3kW and above they change form factor to non-suitcase. 

Unless anyone knows different of course. 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Would the 3kw honda be too big heavy? they are superb and very very quiet, forgotten the model number...

Unsurprisingly, EU30i. 

Edited by WotEver
Constant power was wrong.

EU30I = Dry Weight 131lbs (60kgs) Not something for a one-man lift, or anything you'd want to move on a regular basis.

Once they go above 2kw (1600w continuous) Honda call them 'Commercial Generators'

If you need to go that big, go or a 'proper' built in diesel powered, water cooled generator. With the Honda RRP being around £3000 there is not a huge difference to getting a 'built-in' generator

3 minutes ago, RichM said:

Thanks for the recommendations. Shoud have said my budget is £600 tops.

Found this one, anyone know much about them? Appreciate it's not going to be a Honda.

https://www.generators-direct.co.uk/camping-and-caravan/clarke-ig2000-inverter-petrol-generator

You wanted a 2000+w generator, that one is 1700w.

If you really need 2kw+ then you are wasting your money.

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

EU30I = Dry Weight 131lbs (60kgs) Not something for a one-man lift, or anything you'd want to move on a regular basis.

Once they go above 2kw (1600w continuous) Honda call them 'Commercial Generators'

If you need to go that big, go or a 'proper' built in diesel powered, water cooled generator. With the Honda RRP being around £3000 there is not a huge difference to getting a 'built-in' generator

You wanted a 2000+w generator, that one is 1700w.

If you really need 2kw+ then you are wasting your money.

Will need to compromise. - powering my guests hair-dryers is an idea that can go out the window. :)  I have not yet done much research as this was my first port of call. I appreciate all suggestions and will compare them.

Just bought one of these.  Not as powerful but enough to put amps in my batteries without running the engine.  also the nest one up is really heavy, this one is manageable.  Seems to work well it started first time with one pull of the handle.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-imdy1500lbi-1200w-inverter-generator-230v/15761

52 minutes ago, larryjc said:

Just bought one of these.  Not as powerful but enough to put amps in my batteries without running the engine.  also the nest one up is really heavy, this one is manageable.  Seems to work well it started first time with one pull of the handle.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-imdy1500lbi-1200w-inverter-generator-230v/15761

That's even smaller... 1200W. 

1 hour ago, RichM said:

Found this one, anyone know much about them? Appreciate it's not going to be a Honda.

https://www.generators-direct.co.uk/camping-and-caravan/clarke-ig2000-inverter-petrol-generator

Slightly cheaper direct from Machine Mart: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ig2000-2kw-inverter-generator/

They're an all new design, so hopefully should be quite reliable. Plus Machine Mart have easily accessible service depts around the country should you have any problems. 

Bali is a long way to go on holiday, to discover on arrival when your tired and readying for bed and on opening your suitcase that you've brought the wrong  bloomin one and instead contains a bloomin great smelly generator :banghead:. Never mind, frequent power cuts in Bali I understand.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, RichM said:

Have a look at these, eg 2kW for £450, 2.6kW for £540

http://thepowersite.co.uk/generators/leisure-inverter-generators

I'd not run a cheap inverter geny on the limit though, best allow some 'headroom'.

(I suspect you'll end up buying a Honda EU20 or a Kipper - 'poor mans honda' :) )

Edited by smileypete

Kipor 2700 about £600 29kg - which is heavy!

Kipor 2000 about £500 22kg - 1kg more than the Honda Eu20i.

I can manage to manoeuvre the Honda Eu20i, but my wife would have no chance.

The 1kw Honda (600w continuous?) is about 13kg, and easily manageable by most.

I noticed mention of a hairdryer which seems to be the reason for wanting the big genny. When I want to run a vacuum cleaner, or the coffee maker, or anything else needing several Kw, I fire up the 2500W inverter charger and run the engine.

The alternator doesn't keep up with the inverter, but it helps. I'd probably do similar for a 2kw hairdryer. You would use about 45Ah in 15 minutes, which is easily replaced by running the engine or genny.

10 hours ago, FadeToScarlet said:

I bought a second hand, low hours EU20 from a forum member and it is excellent. Paid £500.

Afriend bought the Kipor version and it seems almost identical apart from the colour! All the innards look the same.

The kippor does not use a honda engine which are the quietest and most reliable small petrol engines on the market, so I did the same as you and bought a nearly new (only used on one camping trip) with LPG conversion for £500 from eBay, so I suggest the OP looks out for one.

Neil

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Kipor 2700 about £600 29kg - which is heavy!

Kipor 2000 about £500 22kg - 1kg more than the Honda Eu20i.

I can manage to manoeuvre the Honda Eu20i, but my wife would have no chance.

The 1kw Honda (600w continuous?) is about 13kg, and easily manageable by most.

I noticed mention of a hairdryer which seems to be the reason for wanting the big genny. When I want to run a vacuum cleaner, or the coffee maker, or anything else needing several Kw, I fire up the 2500W inverter charger and run the engine.

The alternator doesn't keep up with the inverter, but it helps. I'd probably do similar for a 2kw hairdryer. You would use about 45Ah in 15 minutes, which is easily replaced by running the engine or genny.

The forum at its best. A good informative post.

It's always a rather difficult choice to decide what would be the best investment with value for money in mind.

Myself I just ordered a Kipor-IG2000 that I need for emergencies, like right now, while my build in 4kW diesel in a soundproof box, which is installed in the engineroom has a serious problem, with a worn out Dynastart.

I luckely managed to find a brand new anker that I need for the Dynastart and new brushes, but I have to pick these up near Brussels, in the meantime I have to run one of the much too big DAF engines, just to charge the batteries, as the solar panels aren't giving enough in the dark days we've been having.

The best choice if you can afford it (maybe at a later stage) would be a build in silent diesel generator, I've been very happy with mine, until my problems that started last week, as it's really very nice when you can start and stop the machine with the remote control, and have it permanently installed (theftproof) in the engineroom.

One the genny is repaire, I hope that I don't have to rely to often on the Kipor IG-2000, but it's a reassuring idea to have a second means of charging my batteries without having to run one of the much to big engines that only have fairly low powered alternators fitted.

Hope you'll find the perfect genset for your needs.

Peter.