Artwork

Pete Tuffrey

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Pete Tuffrey said:

Hi, yes it confuses people allot, I use spray paint in nearly all my work, plus acrylic and conventional oil painting techniques

Fascinating.  There must be special fine art equipment for this then? Unless the originals are really big...

5 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Fascinating.  There must be special fine art equipment for this then? Unless the originals are really big...

No not at all, I use graffiti paint (really) and halfords car paint, I use these to establish very lose under paintings, I also use cardboard stencils that I draw and cut out to define the dark tonal areas ie  boat sillhoute etc 

i build the under painting until if squinting I can see the very bare bones of a painting... Let it dry for a bit then paint with brushes and acrylics in the normal way, it's not your standard painting technique but works for me

59 minutes ago, Pete Tuffrey said:

I will be trading on my boat in the summer, sorting out a website also, plus a couple of exhibitions

i have an art page on Facebook also 

I would hazard a guess most people interested in buying your work wont go near facebook.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I can't understand why so many hear write Facebook off, you don't have to give your life details or read the crap.

Its because people are scared of things they don't understand.

Chicken and egg really. People who won't go near it will never get to understand what FB is all about. I expect there were once people with the same attitude to telephones.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Chicken and egg really. People who won't go near it will never get to understand what FB is all about. I expect there were once people with the same attitude to telephones.

For us old folk its a bit more than that. As we age we accrete stuff. I currently use about a dozen major applications and operate in about half a dozen areas of knowledge. Each one works after a fashion out of the tin, but each one needs to be learnt in depth to get the best out of it. Each one is being revised, whether it be new versions of governing regulations, or a desire to include The Cloud. Few of these changes are intended to make my life easier, mostly they are about the owner of the area wanting to be fashionable by including all the latest technotricks. I am old enough to have done this in-depth learning many times for the same function - and I am full up. I no longer want to learn anything new and exciting, I just want to get on with the job. This is why I make very limited use of Facebook and why I am unhappy with the forum software change.

• Greenie 3

The trouble is as an artist now you have to use as many different approaches as possible, just relying on a gallery picking you up won't work.we have to make our own luck, I just use Facebook at the moment but a website is next and many artists use a bewildering array of social media and blogs to engage with there public and build massive followings doing so. The downside is it is time consuming and keeps you away from creating.

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

For us old folk its a bit more than that. As we age we accrete stuff. I currently use about a dozen major applications and operate in about half a dozen areas of knowledge. Each one works after a fashion out of the tin, but each one needs to be learnt in depth to get the best out of it. Each one is being revised, whether it be new versions of governing regulations, or a desire to include The Cloud. Few of these changes are intended to make my life easier, mostly they are about the owner of the area wanting to be fashionable by including all the latest technotricks. I am old enough to have done this in-depth learning many times for the same function - and I am full up. I no longer want to learn anything new and exciting, I just want to get on with the job. This is why I make very limited use of Facebook and why I am unhappy with the forum software change.

Apologies to Pete for taking off on a tangent but I agree 100% with the above.  It's important to remember that there is a significant percentage of the population that are not anti technology, we are just very selective in what we choose to employ.  Necessity is no longer the mother of invention, there's so much stuff out there now created just because the technology exists and marketing is everything.  I don't like getting old but it does give you a better perspective on life if only because time is running out...  I look at my lifestyle and my interests and make a judgement as to where my time is best spent, and I can't see how getting to grips with Facebook would enhance my life in any way.  Same reason why I don't use a mobile/smart phone either, there's nothing about my lifestyle that suggests I need one but if I had a different line of work or social life it would probably be different.     

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Yes good point. Greenie.

I totally understand and agree with pretty much everything you have written. But FB like all the things you describe is a tool. I found the comment by Mark99 that he would love to know more about the paintings but will not use the tool available (i.e. FB), rather disappointing. 

I'd quote the post number but the forum improvements have removed them. :-/

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thats why when I first joined CWF I chose the name Ditchcrawler instead of using my real name, If I was joining today I would do it as Brian Holt

9 hours ago, Pete Tuffrey said:

The trouble is as an artist now you have to use as many different approaches as possible, just relying on a gallery picking you up won't work.we have to make our own luck, I just use Facebook at the moment but a website is next and many artists use a bewildering array of social media and blogs to engage with there public and build massive followings doing so. The downside is it is time consuming and keeps you away from creating.

You need to have one platform that automates the posting on to the other platforms for you. A good quality website that feeds Facebook and Twitter directly means you can publish on your website and automatically post the content to the other platforms or build the website to take its content as feeds from Facebook and Twitter.