Ignore topics

mross
Go to solution Solved by Athy,

Featured Posts

Has anyone found a way to ignore topics?  I know you can filter by topic, bit that is opting in and does not cover topics, only sub forums.  
Currently, I 'mark site read' several times a day but worry that I might miss an interesting topic if it gets posted just as I do this.

It takes too long to open every thread that I am not interested in.

1 hour ago, mross said:

Has anyone found a way to ignore topics?  I know you can filter by topic, bit that is opting in and does not cover topics, only sub forums.  
Currently, I 'mark site read' several times a day but worry that I might miss an interesting topic if it gets posted just as I do this.

I am not quite with you on this one :-). I never "mark site read" and when I access the forum one click takes me to a list of headings for topics since I was here last. I open the ones which interest me and leave the others. 

haggis

13 minutes ago, mross said:

but that list gets longer and longer!

Maybe it does, I don't know. I sometimes just look at the last few headings and sometimes I look further. I suppose I go by the time of the last post. I seldom go on to the second page unless there was a topic I really want to look at. 

I have never, with either the old software or this, marked everything as read . Must look sometime at how long the list is :-) 

haggis

Just checked and I am only having one page displayed and when I take the option at the bottom to continue it tells me that there are no more topics to display so my list is not getting longer and longer :-) . Maybe it was a good thing not having a clue what i was doing when I set up my view new topics thing :-) 

Edited by haggis

• Solution
12 minutes ago, mross said:

Athy is quite good at subtle irony but I still wonder!  And he's supposed to be a helpful mod!

Yes, it tickled my sense of humour! Rather like the cartoon which I remember from years ago, chap walks into an office marked 'Bureau Of Missing Persons' and there's no one at the desk.

Addressing your question, I must admit that I look through the list of titles and decide whether they look as if they would interest me. So, one called 'Historic Boat Gathering' I would click on because I like old boats, whereas I would pass over one called 'Seeking sprocket shaft for my Wallimarine 2.5'  because the subject doesn't excite my curiosity. I do find it mildly irksome when someone starts a topic and labels it 'Wow!' or 'This Is Interesting' - I urge colleagues to give their threads names which actually contain a clue as to their contents  (yes, most people do but some don't).

Not very scientific, but the most helpful reply I can offer I'm afraid, Martin.

I have a cunning plan.  I hold down the 'CTRL' button and then click on all the boring topics so they each open in a separate tab.  Then I close all the new tabs.  When I click on my custom stream they have all gone.  To close many tabs, I right-click on the one I want to keep and select 'close other tabs'.

6 minutes ago, mross said:

I think we would all be happy if you edited the titles and made them useful.

...except, sometimes, for the topic starter who may complain that they have been misrepresented (this has happened). Editing other people's words can be a minefield. It is, I admit, a temptation at times, but unless the title includes an obvious mistake or is in some way misleading or inflammatory, in my view they're best left alone.

I have never known what the CTRL key is supposed to do, except that, used in combination with other keys, it can work magic, such as adding acute accents to a letter "e".

1 minute ago, mross said:

I think you mean the ALT GR key to the right of the spacebar

I had never noticed that one. It sounds canine.

No, pressing the "Ctrl" key on the far left, while simultaneously pressing "Alt" a couple of keys to its right, gives me an "é" when I press the "e". I'm sure that there are other methods.

1 hour ago, mross said:

Not quite what you are asking for, and not perfect, but setting your "Time" filter to "Since my last visit" would clear away some of the backlog of things you don't want to read.

If you have a full keyboard, with numeric pad you can get lots of useful things, like the degree symbol, by holding down ALT and typing 248, for example.

You can google keycodes to get the full list.  Handy when writing to johnny foreigner, don't you know.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, peter n said:

Not quite what you are asking for, and not perfect, but setting your "Time" filter to "Since my last visit" would clear away some of the backlog of things you don't want to read.

Well, they still appear but washed out in colour, if that makes sense.  And only if you close the tab and go afresh to the website. 

Edited by mross

3 minutes ago, mross said:

If you have a full keyboard, with numeric pad you can get lots of useful things, like the degree symbol, by holding down ALT and typing 248, for example.

You can google keycodes to get the full list.  Handy when writing to johnny foreigner, don't you know.

Alt + 248 produced nothing at all, but the newly-discovered Alt Grrr + 248 gave me € - most useful, as you suggest, as I do fairly often write French let letters in French.