MALLARD GRP NARROWBOAT

Errwood

Featured Posts

Would this be it?

Mallard Built by Trent Craft - Length : 7.01 metres ( 23 feet ) - Beam : 3.21 metres ( 10 feet 6 inches ) - Draft : 0.3 metres ( 1 foot ). Fibre Glass hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 109736 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Sunday 11th April 2010 )

If you want more info perhaps post a photo.

It looks a neat little boat, be it a bit bow heavy. I am a bit confused about the GRP bit. I think that I can see welds in the bottom photo and the thickness of the return on the scolops front cabin side look a bit thin for a GRP moulding to me but it could all be an optical illusion. I hope someone else will recognise the builder

Here's a shot in the dark for you.

She's listed as built by "White Horse" boats which suggests a Wiltshire connection, in particular the Devizes area.  There is a boat builder by the name of Edmund Peter Sylvester who operated in Devizes and who has made several attempts to get GRP/composite boats into production over the years.  Mallard's bow looks very much like a Sylvester design to me and the age of the boat, about 20 years, would tally with this theory. 

Edmund Sylvester operates in France these days there are contact details on his website http://www.bbcruise.com/indexeng.html

Even if I'm way off the mark, there's a fair chance that Mr Sylvester may know something about White Horse Boats.

19 minutes ago, swift2 said:

Definite GRP this is the photo when we brought in on the trailer to Goytre Wharf . Return Scollops fibre glass also. Fresh water tank is under front deck.

GRP mouldings are familiar to me,that Boat is most impreesive>

Suggest you clear that Prop ,seems to be obstructed by a Huge Plastic Bag!:D

There was a two page review of a Mallard boat, called Dabchick, by Andy Burnett in the September 1989 Waterways World.

It says “The boat Dabchick” is operated as a hire boat by Ian Sharp who fits Mallards out for moulder Peter Dodimead. Both are experienced boat builders”

In 1989 it listed the builder and hire company.

Builder: Crystal Marine.  Potterne Park Farm, Potterne, Devizes, Wilts. SN10 5QT

Hire: The White Horse Boat Company, Bridge Inn, Horton, Devizes, Wilts. SN10 5AQ.

In April 1994 Waterways World, in their Boats and Pieces column mention that Ian Sharp now sells outboard motor versions of Mallard.

Swift2: I’ve sent you a PM

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

funny what you find when looking for something else, your right rob I made two stretched versions of the boat one at 26' and one at 32 ' the longer one went on the mon and brec and it was wine coloured, my memory is fading a bit but I think the 26' boat was green they were made by me in the late 80s 17 were built before the recession kicked in and took me under, the moulds went up into the midlands I think, I'm not sure how many were produced after that but I hope you enjoy your purchase they were built to last

• 1 year later...

Hi only just noticed these last two posts. sorry for late contact great to read this above from Pete Dodimead we are so pleased with our boat previous owner bought the shell and made his own layout had from new until we purchased from him. And trailed it so it was only launched 2 or 3 times and year and garaged in between so it is very good condition.

We did refurb interior to make it a little more modern.

We have bought ours and taken it on the Monmouth and Brecon.

The 32ft is still there  was amazing internal and external but in the last two years has sadly been left to deteriorate.

The interior at present has been stripped out and it was a beautiful Oak finish and wonderful layout. In fact we where thinking of trying to contact the owners to see if they would sell. and would love to bring it back to its former glory.

But noticed last Monday when checking on our boat the log burner was on in there so perhaps they are working on it now. 

thank you so much for your information Pete

Edited by Errwood
spelling
  • Greenie 1

On 01/03/2017 at 09:18, Neil2 said:

Here's a shot in the dark for you.

She's listed as built by "White Horse" boats which suggests a Wiltshire connection, in particular the Devizes area.  There is a boat builder by the name of Edmund Peter Sylvester who operated in Devizes and who has made several attempts to get GRP/composite boats into production over the years.  Mallard's bow looks very much like a Sylvester design to me and the age of the boat, about 20 years, would tally with this theory. 

Edmund Sylvester operates in France these days there are contact details on his website http://www.bbcruise.com/indexeng.html

Even if I'm way off the mark, there's a fair chance that Mr Sylvester may know something about White Horse Boats.

You are correct on the details they were marketed at the time as a trail able NB the advertising didn't go on for to long so I assumed the take up rate was not high .ISTR the partners went separate ways wondered what had become Mr Sylvester

Hi did you see the photo above with our boat brought in from Derby to Wales on a trailer.

But our ballast is water tanks below the floor which when bought as a shell he did intend to trail in so did this for that reason.

A lot of time to launch each time the previous owner used it and then pump out to get back on the trailer home.

As we are on the marina we don't to touch the tanks often - all thought if we want to go to Brecon Basin we have to go in the Ashford tunnel.

The boat is high in the water so we top up the tanks to bring her down a bit. Its a tight fit that's for sure.

we also heard when the Springer Bug was brought out it effected sales of the Mallard due to size comparison so hence they did not last - not sure if this tail is true though.

Edited by Errwood
spelling

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Clair66 said:

Hi this is Dawdla who we believe was built by Crystal marine around 1992 and has been having a few jobs done at Fosdyke yacht haven. Lincolnshire ☺️

IMG_20231101_132658.jpg

IMG_20231101_133308.jpg

No doubt the traditionalists will scoff especially at the shape of the hull under the waterline but thats actually a tidy looking little boat.

Welcome to the forum.

Thankyou☺️ it's actually a friend's boat and I've been helping him sort it out, the odd shape probably being due to it being GRP, it's a mallard the same as the boat in the thread above, though as that was last commented on nearly 5 years ago they may not see it😀