Birmingham and Fazeley Canal

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'm stuck at Drayton Bassett due to two fallen trees across the cut.  Another boater here said that CRT were informed on Friday following storm Doris.  Nothing has been put online, either on the stoppages pages or twitter.  What's the point of having a stoppages website if it's not updated?  If I'd known, I'd have stayed at the Dog and Doublet.

I'll be calling CRT tomorrow to find out what's going on.

Probably covered by their notice the other day stating that there were trees down in over 40 places in the midlands area, rather than issuing individual notices.

As you say though,  this approach isn't much help to anyone actually boating.

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

Probably covered by their notice the other day stating that there were trees down in over 40 places in the midlands area, rather than issuing individual notices.

As you say though,  this approach isn't much help to anyone actually boating.

1.  Where do I see this notice? It doesn't seem to be online anywhere?

2.  The stoppages twitter feed does actually a lot of specific reports of fallen trees but not this one, which implies even more that this route is open.

We left fazeley mill yesterday afternoon but didn't get far, tree down just past the CRT offices on the Coventry, and of course Glascote is closed too. There was an email stoppage notice saying there were a lot of trees down in the area and CRT recommended not trying to navigate.

Useless!!  Now try going onto the stoppages search page and put in Birmingham and Fazeley.  The only stoppage which appears relates to visitor moorings at Cambrian Wharf.  How is a boater supposed to be aware of this general notice?  I get email alerts for the BCN but for other canals I always dutifully check individually on the website.  Maybe I'm expected to be psychic?

33 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Useless!!  Now try going onto the stoppages search page and put in Birmingham and Fazeley.  The only stoppage which appears relates to visitor moorings at Cambrian Wharf.  How is a boater supposed to be aware of this general notice?  I get email alerts for the BCN but for other canals I always dutifully check individually on the website.  Maybe I'm expected to be psychic?

Makes you wonder why we even dared setting out in the days before the internet!

Tim

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Makes you wonder why we even dared setting out in the days before the internet!

Tim

Well yes of course.  If CRT had a policy of not reporting stoppages and we all just took a chance, then at least we'd know that it was our risk.  But if they claim to give stoppage info but then do it in the most piss-poor way, then I'm gonna be cross about it.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I just subscribe to all CRT notification alerts, that way I don't miss something although it does mean I get lots of emails.

I used to subscribe to a lot more but I was sick of getting my inbox flooded.  It shouldn't be necessary if they managed their website properly.

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sound advice at this moment in time. It blowing a gale and hailstoning hard here now.

It is pretty windy today but I've boated in worse.  I was moving on Saturday and Sunday and it was a bit breezy but no more.  My other half had her first go at single handing down Curdworth while I had to deal with something else and she got on fine with it.