Where is this

dor

Featured Posts

So, finally got this new forum working roughly how I want it (VNC!) so I will have another go at asking this.  The picture was sent to me as the owner thought it might be somewhere on the Shroppie or Llangollen but I don't recognise it.  It comes from an old postcard with no information.    I suspect it is a feeder rather than a navigable canal, or might even be just an irrigation channel (it is reminiscent of the Maderian levadas), though it does seem to have a towpath alongside.  The viaduct should identify it if it is a canal.

Any ideas?

canal & viaduct.jpg

Edited by dor

Looks way too narrow for a canal and that rock outcrop looks like its not ever been cut for a navigation channel. The bit by the hand rail almost like an overflow or something like that. 

Could it be a stream that's been channelled for industrial purposes like driving a water wheel?

Not that any of this helps identify where it is.

19 hours ago, dor said:

So, finally got this new forum working roughly how I want it (VNC!) so I will have another go at asking this.  The picture was sent to me as the owner thought it might be somewhere on the Shroppie or Llangollen but I don't recognise it.  It comes from an old postcard with no information.    I suspect it is a feeder rather than a navigable canal, or might even be just an irrigation channel (it is reminiscent of the Maderian levadas), though it does seem to have a towpath alongside.  The viaduct should identify it if it is a canal.

Any ideas?

canal & viaduct.jpg

19 hours ago, dor said:

Any ideas?

canal & viaduct.jpg

Looks like the Shroppie to me, yes, it is that narrow in places.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Stewart Kirby said:

Looks like the Shroppie to me, yes, it is that narrow in places.

Not the Shroppie.  Although it gets quite narrow in Woodseaves Cutting, the cutting is straight and the towpath side is much closer in to the canal.

The top end of the Llangollen is narrow in places, and this would have been taken before the last major breach when it was rebuilt with concrete, but the rest of the picture doesn't fit.

I don't think it is a canal for navigation either. The path alongside is not a towpath. They would never have put those two little pillars built from stones right there, projecting into the pathway right at the narrowest point by the handrail where the horses would barely fit past.

Superb rope snag, too.

21 minutes ago, nebulae said:

Liskeard & Looe Union Canal?

An interesting suggestion as the design of the viaduct is similar to those in Cornwall. The only candidate I think would be at Moorswater, the original terminus of the canal. However, the viaduct there was built to replace the Brunel bridge and the pillars of the earlier bridge remain in place and would be visible in a photo.

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

An interesting suggestion as the design of the viaduct is similar to those in Cornwall. The only candidate I think would be at Moorswater, the original terminus of the canal. However, the viaduct there was built to replace the Brunel bridge and the pillars of the earlier bridge remain in place and would be visible in a photo.

Not all the original pillars of Moorswater Viaduct still remain but it categorically isn't Moorswater Viaduct as I thought that was a possibility but the construction doesn't match. The fact it is a stone viaduct tends to suggest it is probably a little bit out of the way. I can't see it being a part of a major navigation.

Just looking closely at the picture I think it must be a river on the right of the picture although it looks a bit like a roadway. The cutting is a natural feature and wasn't manufactured for a canal which tends to suggest a mill stream. It also suggests that pretty much all of the viaduct is visible; in which case it may only be a bridge.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 hours ago, The Bagdad Boatman (waits) said:

Reminds me of the feeder to springs branch in Skipton the bridge is now the bypass.

Old maps show no bridge anywhere near where the bypass now crosses the Eller Beck which feeds the Springs Branch. And the terrain is much more rolling than in the postcard.

8 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Mill leat or tub boat canal. I can't quite make it into the Tavistock Canal but the scale of the channel is spot on.

I too thought the Tavistock its not  Liskeard to Looe thought the scale is all wrong unless a feeder. The viaduct/bridge/aquaduct looks familiar. I  owned houses in Looe and Liskeard for many years, I will give it more thought.

I've checked my own pics of the Tavistock Canal and while the disused railway viaduct over the tub boat canal and adjacent River Lumburn does have the same slender arches, I can't make the terrain or the actual length of the viaduct fit. (unless the perspective is very strange)

So if it isn't a Welsh tub boat canal, how about the Bude Canal once it divides into its three separate tub boat arms? Mike Todd will soon put me right on this one!

2 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I've checked my own pics of the Tavistock Canal and while the disused railway viaduct over the tub boat canal and adjacent River Lumburn does have the same slender arches, I can't make the terrain or the actual length of the viaduct fit. (unless the perspective is very strange)

So if it isn't a Welsh tub boat canal, how about the Bude Canal once it divides into its three separate tub boat arms? Mike Todd will soon put me right on this one!

As far as I can see the only viaduct on the Holsworthy - Bude railway line is just outside Holsworthy and its detail differs from the OP.

The only point at which the Bude Canal intersected the railway is, I think, at Helebridge, near the bottom of the inclined plane.

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

The location is not unlike the Treffry Viaduct in Cornwall, although the viaduct in the OP's picture is altogether more slender.

https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/treffry-viaduct-luxulyan-valley.htm

treffry-viaduct.jpg

www.cornishmining.net/photogallery/Treffry_Viaduct_Luxulyan_Valley.htm

I think David has it correct.