Where is this

dor

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

The location is not unlike the Treffry Viaduct in Cornwall, although the viaduct in the OP's picture is altogether more slender.

https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/treffry-viaduct-luxulyan-valley.htm

treffry-viaduct.jpg

Sorry but I'm not so sure about it being the same bridge. In the photo above the arches have a distinctive keystone whereas in the original photo the arches don't appear to have a separate keystone?

keystone.jpg

Also the types of blocks / bricks are totally different in size and texture.

Edited by Ray T

2 minutes ago, IanM said:

I reckon that is correct too.

As for the comments about the piers being more slender in the original picture, it would work when taken from the other side to the modern picture.

I disagree, the columns would be the same width either side, also the arch and parapets are very different.

Tim

Thanks for all the responses so far, it makes for an interesting thread.  I have to say that the Cornish viaduct setting does look remarkably similar, but enough differences in the structure to cast doubts.  Are there any other viaducts nearby (or would have been many decades ago)?

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Tempting but it does look as if the stonework at the bottom part of the pillars is different. The OP has the same style top and bottom (ie dressed on the meeting sides of the stones but rounded on the face) whilst the pic of Treffrey shows flat faced ones. Also the OP seems to have a very different dimension from the top of the parapet to the arch . . . 

It's not the same bridge but I suspect geographically it's not too far away.

The span under which the waterway passes Treffrey viaduct appears to be an end span whereas on the original picture it is an intermediate span.

It isn't impossible that such a structure would be rebuilt although mostly it was timber spans that were reconstructed as fully masonry arched structures and usually on a different alignment. However if a railway was built single track and subsequently doubled a masonry arched viaduct could have been rebuilt.

JP