Address for continuos cruisers

Mrspuddleduck

Featured Posts

Hi there

Mrs Puddleduck is back. Had lots of advice on this site last year when we bought our boat. Struggled to understand much of it. Have spent the year learning, selling our house and working too much. We retire end of April and are going to take off. Staying anonomous cause still asking really stupid questions. Feel like we should have it all sorted by now but we will have to learn as we go.

The one big hurdle appears to be living without a permanent address. Any wisdom out there?

18 minutes ago, Mrspuddleduck said:

Yes using quite elderly Mum for a start. Really dont want mail but i guess driving licence, passport and hiring a car would be a pro blem. DO these mail sites meet those requirements does anyone know?

My understanding is they don't,  Mailboxes etc will give you an address, but it costs and not sure if they forward mail, it's also ambiguous if it is suitable for drivers licence etc.. I would go with Rusty 69's suggestion and use a relative or friend's address.

Just now, Meanderingviking said:

My understanding is they don't,  Mailboxes etc will give you an address, but it costs and not sure if they forward mail, it's also ambiguous if it is suitable for drivers licence etc.. I would go with Rusty 69's suggestion and use a relative or friend's address.

Yes problem is Mum aging and kids have the same wanderlust as us.

55 minutes ago, Mrspuddleduck said:

Yes using quite elderly Mum for a start. Really dont want mail but i guess driving licence, passport and hiring a car would be a pro blem. DO these mail sites meet those requirements does anyone know?

I believe boatmail users have had no problem with driving licence been registered there, etc.   Mailboxes, etc. require a address to register one, so not really suitable.

We have used Boatmail for several years and it works well for us. Big plus is the ordinary address which is acceptable to banks and DVLA and TV licencing. We have found current driving licence pretty much essential for ID purposes, for example a new passport. Cut down paper mail as much as poss e.g. Paperless banking. I do not join things that send paper thro the post as much as is possible. 

9 hours ago, ValandPete said:

We have used Boatmail for several years and it works well for us. Big plus is the ordinary address which is acceptable to banks and DVLA and TV licencing. We have found current driving licence pretty much essential for ID purposes, for example a new passport. Cut down paper mail as much as poss e.g. Paperless banking. I do not join things that send paper thro the post as much as is possible. 

12 hours ago, Robbo said:

I believe boatmail users have had no problem with driving licence been registered there, etc.   Mailboxes, etc. require a address to register one, so not really suitable.

13 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

Have you got a good friend who will help out?

Thanks guys

just figuring out how to use the site. Sounds like Boatmail might be the thing. Got mixed feelings about using a friend. Something about being independent and private but then on the other hand it would be free. Hard one

52 minutes ago, Martin Megson said:

I use my son's address.  This has the advantage of being free and he can scan anything important and email it to me.  

I use to do that for a friend who was out in Mexico,  You have to have full faith in them as they see all your personal information. I use to scan important ones and also Skype him to discuss what needed doing if anything.