Black country museum

haggis

Featured Posts

The Sea Otter Owners Club is having a get together in October during which the plan is to visit the Black Country Museum and have a trip into the Dudley canal. Most people will be staying in a local Travel Lodge but some will want to come by boat. .Years ago you could moor outside the museum and I think, also on the other side but I have it in mind that that has changed and there are very few visitor moorings now. The web site when telling folk how they can visit the museum make no mention of attending by boat! If we can't moor in the vicinity of the museum, are there safe moorings within walking distance?  The last time we were in that area, we just popped down to use the services and didn't pay too much attention to visitor moorings.

Can anyone tell me what the current position is please? 

Haggis

We moored there last summer when there was some construction work going on (new visitor's centre?). This restricted mooring, but there was room for two on the facility side of the canal and perhaps four or five on the museum side of the canal. These moorings are all within the locked area. You can moor just outside the locked area. I have never done that, but have spoken to several people who have, and they have not had a problem.

I have visited a couple of times and moored up during the daytime since the new visitor centre opened. I don't think it has made much difference; perhaps pushed a bit of the DCTs stuff beyond the swing bridge such as the tunnel gauge and a trip boat. The CRT visitor moorings are still on both sides and boats regularly moor beyond the road bridge as well. There are also moorings at Tipton Green on the old main line within a walkable distance of the museum so I don't think you will have too much problem.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Thank you for your replies which are reassuring.  I don't know why I had it in mind that the number of visitor moorings had been reduced.  As an aside, I remember several years ago mooring outside the museum and going for a look round. When we came back it was to find that our boat was being thought of as an exhibit by museum visitors and they were peering through the windows and pointing out to their children that not only was there a cooker on board but there was a bed! I feared it might have affected their view of how tough canal boating was in the days of carrying :-) 

Haggis

10 hours ago, haggis said:

Thank you for your replies which are reassuring.  I don't know why I had it in mind that the number of visitor moorings had been reduced.  As an aside, I remember several years ago mooring outside the museum and going for a look round. When we came back it was to find that our boat was being thought of as an exhibit by museum visitors and they were peering through the windows and pointing out to their children that not only was there a cooker on board but there was a bed! I feared it might have affected their view of how tough canal boating was in the days of carrying :-) 

Haggis

The private moorings have been removed but not the visitor moorings.