View new content.

Murflynn

Featured Posts

is there an option to view new content (without looking into each forum subsection?)

if I reply to a post listed in 'unread' that thread disappears, and if I then decide to revisit to see and possibly edit what I said, I have to go searching for it.  I just want to see a list of the latest posts in different threads (just like what we used to have :banghead: ) 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quelle surprise

(Meant as a criticism of the software, not you frahkn!)

Maybe take as much time as you spend complaining learning to make it work for you? It took me 10 minutes with the help of fellow forum members.

When it first appeared I was slightly baffled for a short while but understood why the change was necessary and then worked to make it work for me.

Let's remember the site is run by unpaid volunteers.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Ange said:

Maybe take as much time as you spend complaining learning to make it work for you? It took me 10 minutes with the help of fellow forum members.

When it first appeared I was slightly baffled for a short while but understood why the change was necessary and then worked to make it work for me.

Let's remember the site is run by unpaid volunteers.

Well you are far cleverer than I am Ange.

I've wasted several hours getting this far with the new software. And that is meant as a criticism of Invision not the admin here, for forcing this upgrade on us all. A point you seem to misunderstand given your final sentence. 

I come here because I like to discuss canal-related issues with other boaters. The Invision forum software is a tool to use for this. I loathe with a passion having to constantly re-learn new software - it happens in every area of computing. All the programs I use are periodically get root and branch revisions and its all so unnecessary. I understand the need to improve security but that is no reason for Invision to completely change the user interface and change all the terminology with no advance notice of the upheaval it was about to cause. 

4 minutes ago, mross said:

Not you, the guy who was looking for them.  do you want them?  Is there anything I can help you to fix with the hated, new software?

View New Content.txt

Ah that txt file looks useful. I haven't seen that until now, thank you. I'll give it a try.

One thing driving me nuts about about the new software is how when I click on a thread to read it, when the thread loads my cursor is generally over the author's avatar so just as I start reading the thread, a large fly-out box gets loaded displaying details of the poster, meaning I have to move the cursor to carry on reading. Not a big deal but its getting irritating after happening several hundred times!

Oh and another thing. How do I put a VNC button on my screen so I don't have to do several mouse clicks and scroll the screen up a bit (tiny laptop screen here) to get to my (flawed) VNC?

8 minutes ago, mayalld said:

That isn't really a fair response.

The new software (as out of the box) lacks a particularly well used feature of the old software.

Yes, it is possible for each and every member to build something themselves that does that, but;

• That is a lot of people who won't have access to that facility any more because they didn't see the instructions, or because the instructions seemed a pain.
  • That is a lot of hours that have been spent overall. It would have been a significantly smaller effort to do this centrally.

I am well aware that the site is run by unpaid volunteers.

I have some not insignificant experience of running a site myself on exactly that basis, and I do think that there is a need on this site to be more receptive when there is a criticism.

1. When I do things, I try to do them well. That applies whether I am paid or not. So, in my view "the site is run by unpaid volunteers" to excuse not getting this aspect of the migration right isn't appropriate.
  2. Why so defensive? Saying that the new site isn't all that people want isn't a personal attack on anybody. It is a view of the new site. People are unhappy about the lack of functionality. Telling them that they are wrong to be unhappy about it is just plain silly (and a worrying slip backwards in terms of the moderating style here, with a tendency towards shouting down anything that doesn't accord with the view of the moderator team).

All that was actually needed was "Yeah, with hindsight we should have done that. We'll have a look and see if we can retro-fit it"

absolutely.

if I was running this show one of my most important KPIs (key performance indicators) would be how many new visitors I could convert to membership.

the default screen that a visitor will encounter would put anyone off.

oh, and if the Site Team take objection to constructive criticism then I agree with mayalld - it would be a retrograde step in moderation and ownership style; the site team would be seen as the luddites, not we who make the criticisms.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh and another thing. How do I put a VNC button on my screen so I don't have to do several mouse clicks and scroll the screen up a bit (tiny laptop screen here) to get to my (flawed) VNC?

I hold the spacebar down and this takes me to the bottom of the page, where there is a VNC button (it's not called that because it links to my custom stream.

3 minutes ago, mross said:

I hold the spacebar down and this takes me to the bottom of the page, where there is a VNC button (it's not called that because it links to my custom stream.

Thanks.

I've just discovered that the last line of the txt file also puts the same link at the top of each page!

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I'm not getting on very well with the new edition. I've visited less since change.

Have you used the advice in the TXT file posted by mross above?

I have and it still doesn't really work properly. I find it difficult to find the threads I know I've participated in so have the constant feeling I'm failing to see answers here and there. 

I too am no longer enjoying posting here. It's just plain confusing, even without being sniped at by a mod for posting my opinion.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have you used the advice in the TXT file posted by mross above?

I have and it still doesn't really work properly. I find it difficult to find the threads I know I've participated in so have the constant feeling I'm failing to see answers here and there. 

I too am no longer enjoying posting here. It's just plain confusing, even without being sniped at by a mod for posting my opinion.

Time to walk the plank to #####boat? 

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Time to walk the plank to #####boat? 

Not really. Not my sort of place.

I'm tending to spend more time on the other two forums I use. Going to those other forums with their slick user interfaces throws into sharp relief just how Godawful this place is now. 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really. Not my sort of place.

I'm tending to spend more time on the other two forums I use. Going to those other forums with their slick user interfaces throws into sharp relief just how Godawful this place is now. 

I guess that's a fair point. The more different format forums you visit the more difficult it will be. Its a shame there isn't one standard format for these places

5 minutes ago, mross said:

Please make another custom stream and select the filter 'content I have posted in'

I've done it for you here http://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/188/ to test.  Took me 10 seconds.

Thank you!

Trouble is, I get this when I click your link:

"There are no results to show in this activity stream yet "

But I get your point. I'll do myself a third custom activity stream. Really simple, yes!!!

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you!

Trouble is, I get this when I click your link:

"There are no results to show in this activity stream yet "

But I get your point. I'll do myself a third custom activity stream. Really simple, yes!!!

Ok, that's because I selected "unread"  here is "Content I have Posted in with Everything instead of unread."

http://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/189/

Edited by mross