Moorings K&A near Bath

jennywren

Featured Posts

I am currently a liveaboard CCer (have a 32ft GRP narrowbeam cruiser) but will start a PhD in Bath in September, and I think really the only feasible option for my relocation to Bath will be to have a permanent mooring (or the boat will have to go :( -my funding won't stretch to mooring my boat somewhere else and renting in Bath...although I have had it suggested by more than one person that I should just crane the boat into the university's ornamental lake :D)

Not expecting to find an officially residential mooring, as long as I can get away with being a 'stays a lot' type (I will in all likelihood be going between boat and places elsewhere a fair bit of the time anyway) but need to be relatively close to Bath as I will be relying on bus or train to get into uni. 

I'm aware of a few marinas round there, but I've not had a mooring before, so I really don't have much of an idea of how hard it will be to actually secure one (things I read about the K&A make it sound like they're in short supply) and when I should start looking etc (in an ideal world, I would love one sorted for end of August as I am about to embark on a pre-PhD grand canal journey that I am looking forward to, but PhD comes above everything, so if it was a case of needing to start looking ASAP and snap one up as soon as it came along, I will do that). I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give regarding mooring availability in that part of the world and the best approach to take to finding one.

• Greenie 1

The western end of the K and A is very busy, there is Saltford marina, expensive I understand. You could pop in to see Digger his yard is on the Bathampton road towards Bath, he may have availability. Also look to see what CRT are offering. 

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My limited experience with marinas is that it helps to turn up in person and have a chat to the owners. If they like you then you might find a space miraculously appears where there was none previously. 

Yes, I know someone who got into Limehouse Marina with that tactic. Showed up dressed nicely and put their best posh accent on and magically a space appeared.

Unfortunately I can't be making trips on the off chance.

6 minutes ago, jennywren said:

Yes, I know someone who got into Limehouse Marina with that tactic. Showed up dressed nicely and put their best posh accent on and magically a space appeared.

Unfortunately I can't be making trips on the off chance.

I think at most boatyards an " Unposh " approach works far better, always has for me.

Are you checking the CRT moorings site?, moorings on the Western K&A do come up from time to time, but these are likely to be the ones with less than ideal access to car parking and transport links. You should be able to live easily on a CRT leisure mooring. You could take a mooring then CC some of the time so get closer to Bath.

Strictly you can probably CC over a very small distance (or even just stay still) if you also have a mooring but this would not be wise.

................Dave

Saltford marina is expensive but there are some reasonable bankside moorings there as well.  My daughter had one for several years.  Might be worth checking.  Just be prepared to get stuck on board when the river is in flood!!

16 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

The western end of the K and A is very busy, there is Saltford marina, expensive I understand. You could pop in to see Digger his yard is on the Bathampton road towards Bath, he may have availability. Also look to see what CRT are offering. 

Is Digger still there?

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Is Digger still there?

I am assuming he is, however it is a couple of years since I have been there.

Can anyone else here who knows the K and A confirm if he is? 

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Are you checking the CRT moorings site?, moorings on the Western K&A do come up from time to time, but these are likely to be the ones with less than ideal access to car parking and transport links. You should be able to live easily on a CRT leisure mooring. You could take a mooring then CC some of the time so get closer to Bath.

Strictly you can probably CC over a very small distance (or even just stay still) if you also have a mooring but this would not be wise.

................Dave

Yes, there are some moorings with the nearest facilities some miles away, and like you said, not close to transport links, which really won't work for me. I will be away odd weeks and able to work from home at some stages, but will still need to be in Bath the majority of the time doing 9-5 at uni and won't really have time for CCing.

2 hours ago, larryjc said:

Saltford marina is expensive but there are some reasonable bankside moorings there as well.  My daughter had one for several years.  Might be worth checking.  Just be prepared to get stuck on board when the river is in flood!!

Going by the prices on their website they seem reasonable for me (certainly cheaper than the BMWL marinas). My boat's small though so cost is not a big concern (it will always be considerably cheaper than renting in Bath in any case).

Contact Saltford Marina, they are near to local services and a bus route to Bath. They sometimes have moorings especially for shorter boats.  It is in the river but their moorings deal with changing water levels: you may also be able to save a few quid by having river registration whilst there.  Friendly proprietor too. 

Digger's Yard as suggested is probably your best bet. It's beside Bridge 197 and as the previous poster says, it's beside the Warminster Road in the Claverrton area. Diggers mobile is 07790 872705 but he rarely seems to answer it. It's very much one of those places where you really need to turn up in person. Think laterally: he's probably got more hard standing than floating space so living on your boat ashore might be a solution.

3 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Digger's Yard as suggested is probably your best bet. It's beside Bridge 197 and as the previous poster says, it's beside the Warminster Road in the Claverrton area. Diggers mobile is 07790 872705 but he rarely seems to answer it. It's very much one of those places where you really need to turn up in person. Think laterally: he's probably got more hard standing than floating space so living on your boat ashore might be a solution.

If "Digger" is still there, be very wary of mooring your boat there.

11 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

If "Digger" is still there, be very wary of mooring your boat there.

An old Auster JR5 -mid/ late 50s build ?? got many happy memories (and hours) on one of those we used it as a Tug at the gliding club, after several U/C collapses and other problems it was replaced with a Citabria (G-BFHP)

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

An old Auster JR5 -mid/ late 50s build ?? got many happy memories (and hours) on one of those we used it as a Tug at the gliding club, after several U/C collapses and other problems it was replaced with a Citabria (G-BFHP)

Yep an old Auster, picture taken 1962 me on the left and my headmaster on the right. Not many kids today have flying lessons at school

:)

We are at Exeter airport after an emergency landing, Lulsgate airfield (Bristol International Airport) didn't have a long enough runway for us.

6 hours ago, The Mousie said:

Digger passed away a year or so back.

Sad to hear that. I had heard rumours but was not sure. Any idea what is happening there now?

You may struggle to find a mooring around here if you also want transport to Bath. The whole area is pretty full with few moorings even for the large number of hire boats now operating

The 3 places at Trowbridge are Marsh Farm (bankside);  Spencers ( full ?); ABC marina (full ?), then Sally boats at Bradford on Avon, CART moorings around Bradford on Avon and Avoncliff, CART at Murhill ( no easy transport), boatyard at Dundas(full ?), CART between Dundas and Claverton, Diggers yard ( full?) still seems to be operating, Small moorings near the swing bridge before Bathampton, CART before Bathampton, then Bath Marina on the river, Saltford, Keynsham and Bristol floating harbour.

Some of these are not easy for transport.

There are 2 Universities in Bath. The 1 at Claverton Down is accessible by foot from Dundas round to Bathampton by walking up the footpaths if you are fit ! 

The other is a bit scattered so you have to use buses across town

Trains every 1/2 hour ish through stations except Avoncliff  

Avoncliff, trains every hour into Bath, then Uni bus, or short walk up the hill to Westwood or slightly longer the other side to Winsley and then bus, but car parking difficult. A bit shallow, very very cold in winter, but has Good pub (avoid Tuesday evenings) and a cafe that is never open.

On 2/26/2017 at 20:38, magpie patrick said:

Contact Saltford Marina, they are near to local services and a bus route to Bath. They sometimes have moorings especially for shorter boats.  It is in the river but their moorings deal with changing water levels: you may also be able to save a few quid by having river registration whilst there.  Friendly proprietor too. 

Avoid the snobbish lot that live in Saltford.

12 hours ago, adrianh said:

You may struggle to find a mooring around here if you also want transport to Bath. The whole area is pretty full with few moorings even for the large number of hire boats now operating

The 3 places at Trowbridge are Marsh Farm (bankside);  Spencers ( full ?); ABC marina (full ?), then Sally boats at Bradford on Avon, CART moorings around Bradford on Avon and Avoncliff, CART at Murhill ( no easy transport), boatyard at Dundas(full ?), CART between Dundas and Claverton, Diggers yard ( full?) still seems to be operating, Small moorings near the swing bridge before Bathampton, CART before Bathampton, then Bath Marina on the river, Saltford, Keynsham and Bristol floating harbour.

Some of these are not easy for transport.

There are 2 Universities in Bath. The 1 at Claverton Down is accessible by foot from Dundas round to Bathampton by walking up the footpaths if you are fit ! 

The other is a bit scattered so you have to use buses across town

Trains every 1/2 hour ish through stations except Avoncliff  

We used to moor at Marsh Farm.  There were several live-a-boards there although strictly speaking they are residential.  Not sure how could it is for transport though?  Maybe get a bus from Hilperton?

On 27/02/2017 at 14:01, The Mousie said:

Digger passed away a year or so back.

17 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Sad to hear that. I had heard rumours but was not sure. Any idea what is happening there now

I used to moor at Digger's (or Sheepwash to give it it's correct name) and got to know Digger quite well, but havent been down there for more than a years. I live only a couple of miles away, I may pop down to find out what has happened to the moorings.

Edited by David Schweizer