Waterways tattoo

magictime

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The OP shared his tattoos and implicitly expected feedback, even some negative feedback - "I may be lighting the blue touch paper here"  was the phrase.

Of course if I meet someone with tattoos I don't come out with "I don't like tattoos."   However, anyone with any perception would detect my distaste.  I am not alone, as public-facing jobs often require tattoos to be covered.  Employers aren't doing this just because of their own opinions.

The answer is not to work for small minded organisations that don't allow people to be free to show their personalities. I would much rather talk to someone about their ink than to some identikit bod in a suit 

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

I eat proper British food: pizza, boeuf bourgignon, chow mien

Oh dear. Now Athy's going to come along and - no, wait, you are Athy! I suppose it falls to me, then, to wonder aloud whether "chow mien" might refer to the manner or bearing of a person who appears overly fond of his grub?

54 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Nice piece of work, did you come out planning your next one straightaway they are quite addictive? I love my tattoos and piercings, which I had done before they became more mainstream. Some work good some not so, but you have to admire some of the artists out there.

Thank you! Actually I started on my next one immediately after this one got finished. I tend to book in for two- or three-hour sessions rather than individual designs, and just work my way through an evolving list. Making up for lost time, I suppose!

21 minutes ago, FadeToScarlet said:

I quite fancy getting one. On the upper arm, where it is easy to cover with a shirt if I end up working somewhere again with a "no visible tattoos" policy.

I'm quite taken by the Severn and Canal Carrying Company logo- a stylised and interlocking S with two Cs. The other half is considering an "IW" Inland Waterways badge, as the "Idle Women" had.

I'm just Googling these out of curiosity! Is that the IW badge with "National Service" across the top? I can see that working really well. I'm drawing a complete blank on the SCC logo, but I really like the idea. 

27 minutes ago, magictime said:

Oh dear. Now Athy's going to come along and - no, wait, you are Athy! I suppose it falls to me, then, to wonder aloud whether "chow mien" might refer to the manner or bearing of a person who appears overly fond of his grub?

:clapping:

1 hour ago, frangar said:

The answer is not to work for small minded organisations that don't allow people to be free to show their personalities. I would much rather talk to someone about their ink than to some identikit bod in a suit 

I'm afraid that a lot of people tend to draw conclusions about the personalities of people with tattoos, and not favourable ones.

Myself, I like to keep an open mind and judge people as I find them, but it is the actual tattoos I find unpleasant, and regard as deliberate self-disfigurement, like graffiti on a fine building.

I like that! The heron looks really good, nice artwork. I am not against tattoos generally but I do have very mixed feelings about them. I see so many middle aged (or older) women with a coloured splodge on their shoulder that is partially covered by the strap of whatever top they are wearing. I think they probably hoped they were having a discreet, maybe sexy little rosebud or bumblebee applied but unless they wear a strapless top it is always partially obscured and if I get close enough to make out what the coloured splodge is supposed to depict I realise that whoever applied it probably failed art at school. 

I think this is the problem, if somebody has a design they really love and has someone they can trust to do a really good job of applying it then fine, but it can never be changed and that is the problem for me. I will wear a favourite piece of jewellery for a decade and then just decide to start wearing a different piece because I want a change. I could not do that with a tattoo. I did seriously consider having one a number or years ago but decided to live with the desire for 2 years before having it done. 2 years came and went and I realised I was not bothered about having it done after all. Now some 8 years later I am actually really pleased I did not have it done. But that is just me. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same

My Dad had loads over his arms that were done when he was young they looked bloody awful in later life and is the reason that I have non nor ever will. I have one daughter who has completely covered one arm with tatoos and they look bloody crap. I am not biased at all mind its your arm.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm afraid that a lot of people tend to draw conclusions about the personalities of people with tattoos, and not favourable ones.

Myself, I like to keep an open mind and judge people as I find them, but it is the actual tattoos I find unpleasant, and regard as deliberate self-disfigurement, like graffiti on a fine building.

I'm sure people jump to conclusions about all sorts....I tend to find it's their problem and not mine....on a personal viewpoint I find someone with tattoos generally more interesting and open minded about most things in life...I also love the appearance....if looked after they retain their colour and shape and hold memories of a life lived 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

I'm sure people jump to conclusions about all sorts....I tend to find it's their problem and not mine....on a personal viewpoint I find someone with tattoos generally more interesting and open minded about most things in life...I also love the appearance....if looked after they retain their colour and shape and hold memories of a life lived 

Have a greenie :D

I used to work with offenders, homeless people and people struggling with addictions.  They found it much easier to engage with people who were informal, casual and indeed tattooed etc. It didn't stop our teams working very professionally, without barriers of us and them.

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I've employed a few folk over the years and one of the best guys was a chap with a giant orange mohican and a ring in his nose. I hated both but they were his life decisions, not mine. 

Was it Daniel Day-glo Lewis? 

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I did seriously consider having one a number or years ago but decided to live with the desire for 2 years before having it done. 2 years came and went and I realised I was not bothered about having it done after all. 

Seems like a very sensible approach. I haven't mulled over any particular design for that long, but I did wait until I was old enough to feel pretty settled and secure in my tastes and interests. When I was younger I was conscious of the risk that I'd, say, get the logo of a favourite band tattooed and five years later they wouldn't be a favourite band any more!

4 hours ago, magictime said:

No, it's a noodle-based Chinese-style dish. What did you mean by "Athy's going to come along"? I have been trying to come along for several days but the new computer set-up would not allow me in.

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No, that would be chow mein :P

I normally trust my spelling, but when I typed in "mein" my computer underlined it, suggesting a mistake, therefore I changed it. The computer seemed to like that more.

With such foreign food names, which are often approximations of words which were originally written using different alphabets, spelling variations are common - for example, "pulao", "pilao" and "pillaw" rice - I have seen all these on menus, and there are numerous different spellings of poppadum/papadom/puppadum etc. Then there's vindalo/vindaloo, masala/massala....I could go on. Oh, I am doing.

In a nutshell, if you feel that "chow mien" is an unacceptable spelling, blame my computer.

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 08:28, magictime said:

This might be a new one for CWDF, but since it's waterways-related, I thought I'd share a pic of my newly-completed tattoo. The background was just added yesterday, which is why it looks darker than the heron.

Why do I have the feeling I'm lighting the blue touch paper here? Oh well...

DSC_2922.JPG

Beautiful 

my other half has lots of tattoos, all her chest, one full sleeve, other arm half done, both legs, complete back, behind and frontal mid level areas.

I think they look great and she plans more, nothing wrong with tattoos in my mind, they do fade but she has gone over a couple with new ones so that's not a problem, she works in a front facing public role and her bosses don't mind, its the narrow minded folk that mind and say something when really they should accept that everyone is different and have different views, tattooed people.dont mind that non tattooed people don't have any or want any so why it should it be the other way, especially in this day and age.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

And here is the rub. People who have overt tattoos in obvious visible places seem to be challenging the world and saying "Hey look at me, I dare you to judge me based on my appearance, and I think you'll get it wrong."

I tend to do the same by dressing scruffily and driving a van that looks like a junkyard inside. I get a curious satisfaction from seeing who judges me and who doesn't. It helps me to come to a judgement about them!

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And here is the rub. People who have overt tattoos in obvious visible places seem to be challenging the world and saying "Hey look at me, I dare you to judge me based on my appearance, and I think you'll get it wrong."

I tend to do the same by dressing scruffily and driving a van that looks like a junkyard inside. I get a curious satisfaction from seeing who judges me and who doesn't. It helps me to come to a judgement about them.

Nick reports a similar scenario when he went into a Jag dealership with his husband. There's no excuse for that. 

11 hours ago, Athy said:

No, it's a noodle-based Chinese-style dish. What did you mean by "Athy's going to come along"? I have been trying to come along for several days but the new computer set-up would not allow me in.

I was suggesting that when other members misuse or misspell words, you often "come along" with a post in which you highlight their error by humorously affecting to be unsure of their intended meaning; but that in this case, since the error was yours your computer's, I felt obliged to supply a joke in the appropriate style myself.

Fair enough. Frankly, I was so relieved to be back on the forum after it had locked me out since The Change that the humorous subtleties of some posts must have passed me by as I scurried through them in an attempt to catch up. I apologise.

I guess that, referring to Alan Fincher's classic typo about Deltics, it could be "chow mane" as well.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I normally trust my spelling, but when I typed in "mein" my computer underlined it, suggesting a mistake, therefore I changed it. The computer seemed to like that more.

With such foreign food names, which are often approximations of words which were originally written using different alphabets, spelling variations are common - for example, "pulao", "pilao" and "pillaw" rice - I have seen all these on menus, and there are numerous different spellings of poppadum/papadom/puppadum etc. Then there's vindalo/vindaloo, masala/massala....I could go on. Oh, I am doing.

In a nutshell, if you feel that "chow mien" is an unacceptable spelling, blame my computer.

Your computer made a mess of the bœuf bourgignon too I suppose, as you will surely know how to write it ;)

Peter.

9 minutes ago, bargemast said:

Your computer made a mess of the bœuf bourgignon too I suppose, as you will surely know how to write it ;)

Peter.

I spelled it in the same way that you have done - but we are both guilty of typo's, it should be "bourguignon".