Tall chimneys

Jambo

Featured Posts

Consider a double skinned chimney, but insulate between the two skins. What length of chimney do you have, inside and outside measurements?

Do you have effective ventilation? A stove can only draw what it can inhale.

What fuel are you trying to burn? Unseasoned wood will not draw efficiently.

Got a double skinned chimney at the moment but it's not insulated, nor is the flue. That's something I'm considering rectifying though.

The chimney is I think 18" tall, 5" inside, 6" outside.

We burn about 90% hardwood sawdust heat logs, 10% solid,  so it's all dry and we're not short of ventilation either. 

Cruising around London with the air quality issues that we have, we need better draw to keep it clean. Stoves just need a decent length of flue to operate cleanly which is difficult to provide in a boat!

But I'm yet to find a supplier who will make something of a decent length. I've seen them on boats but am bit having any luck with the Google searching. The chandlery stores seem to only stock standard sizes and the little chimney company only go to 22". I may have to look to land to sort this one. 

19 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Got a double skinned chimney at the moment but it's not insulated, nor is the flue. That's something I'm considering rectifying though.

The chimney is I think 18" tall, 5" inside, 6" outside.

We burn about 90% hardwood sawdust heat logs, 10% solid,  so it's all dry and we're not short of ventilation either. 

Cruising around London with the air quality issues that we have, we need better draw to keep it clean. Stoves just need a decent length of flue to operate cleanly which is difficult to provide in a boat!

But I'm yet to find a supplier who will make something of a decent length. I've seen them on boats but am bit having any luck with the Google searching. The chandlery stores seem to only stock standard sizes and the little chimney company only go to 22". I may have to look to land to sort this one. 

I have a stainless steel extension pipe that I slide into the top of the chimney to extend it, are you sure your chimney is only 5" inside the boat

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have a stainless steel extension pipe that I slide into the top of the chimney to extend it, are you sure your chimney is only 5" inside the boat

That's the inside diameter of the collar I think. Will check again and repost if that's wrong. Thinking about it 6" was the od of the collar so the chimney must be more like 7".

Some sort of extension might work but I don't want stove juice dripping down. Hopefully the extension would provide enough oomph to avoid that though. 

Edited by Jambo

13 hours ago, Jambo said:

The draw on out stove has always been a little anaemic and I want to improve it to get it burning our fuel more efficiently and more cleanly.

I'm looking for a nice, tall chimney of ab

Where are you? We have a bloke here called Alex who makes everybodys chimney to order. They are far better than any I have had before in nearly 30 years, he will make you anything you want and you will never get btar again due to the inside design. I have two, one for when moored and a shorter one for when out and about.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

That's the inside diameter of the collar I think. Will check again and repost if that's wrong. Thinking about it 6" was the od of the collar so the chimney must be more like 7".

Some sort of extension might work but I don't want stove juice dripping down. Hopefully the extension would provide enough oomph to avoid that though. 

I thought it was the length of your present flue. I have a double skined chimney and the inner skin hangs inside the flue from the stove to the roof. So any drips there drop back down the flue. The extension sits inside the top of the chimney so again any drips fall back inside. Its just a stainless tube with a bulge rolled in it about an inch and a half from the end and is a close fit in the chimney. Its on the boatmans stove so if in use while cruising I can just pull it out for low bridges.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/ac-052.aspx

Three sizes available 6" X 12, 18 & 24"

Item Description: Chimney Liner 6" x 24" Galvanised. Converts your single skinned chimney into a double skinned chimney. Colour: Silver Diameter (O/D): 6" Length: 24" Construction Material: Galvanised Steel
My chimney is double skinned, I use one of these to get extra height when required. I've put a couple of pop rivets in to keep the tube in a cone shape to stop it going too far down the chimney. Easy to pull out when needed.
Edited by Ray T

Mine is 1m/36" long. It's a simple piece of commercial flue pipe, which sits snugly inside the (custom fabricated) roof collar, so no tar drips.

I had a nice stainless steel one, but it blew off, so now I have a section from Machine Mart with two wire guy ropes. I can leave it on when boating around here on the Cam and Ouse, but when venturing further afield it xomes off 

On 25/02/2017 at 09:19, mrsmelly said:

Where are you? We have a bloke here called Alex who makes everybodys chimney to order. They are far better than any I have had before in nearly 30 years, he will make you anything you want and you will never get btar again due to the inside design. I have two, one for when moored and a shorter one for when out and about.

London. I'll investigate extension options first but might get back to you for a contact to explore this idea further if an extension doesn't bear fruit. Thanks!

On 25/02/2017 at 10:30, ditchcrawler said:

I thought it was the length of your present flue. I have a double skined chimney and the inner skin hangs inside the flue from the stove to the roof. So any drips there drop back down the flue. The extension sits inside the top of the chimney so again any drips fall back inside. Its just a stainless tube with a bulge rolled in it about an inch and a half from the end and is a close fit in the chimney. Its on the boatmans stove so if in use while cruising I can just pull it out for low bridges.

Ah if the extension fits inside the inner sleeve then that would be ideal. The ones I'd seen looked like they slipped over the outside but on reflection that wouldn't make much sense. 

23 hours ago, Ray T said:

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/ac-052.aspx

Three sizes available 6" X 12, 18 & 24"

My chimney is double skinned, I use one of these to get extra height when required. I've put a couple of pop rivets in to keep the tube in a cone shape to stop it going too far down the chimney. Easy to pull out when needed.

Interesting idea. Thanks. Will look into that. 

20 hours ago, FadeToScarlet said:

Mine is 1m/36" long. It's a simple piece of commercial flue pipe, which sits snugly inside the (custom fabricated) roof collar, so no tar drips.

I had a nice stainless steel one, but it blew off, so now I have a section from Machine Mart with two wire guy ropes. I can leave it on when boating around here on the Cam and Ouse, but when venturing further afield it xomes off 

Nice solution!