Featured Posts

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

But in that screenshot you have "Show me" set wrong. Needs to be set to "items only". Or is that your point? <confused!>

Yes I was trying to point out in the second screenshot that changing Show me causes the multiple lines per thread.

13 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I am also getting multiple hits on the same topic, the compromise for one improvement seems to a retrograde step for other features. it really does need sorting.

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Has anybody got something that only shows a single entry in their VNC for each thread, rather than one for each new post?

Is so, what magic setting controls that, please?

I have altered "show me" and "read status" as suggested and all the tedious repeat posts have gone, I now get just the topics which have unread content. A considerable improvement, although many of the useful features which were in the previous format are still missing. I still don't like it as much.

One thing that i didcovered by trial and error is tha on the stream page yiou need to set "show me" to "content items only" not "content items" , this displays as "items only " in the bar at the top of the VNC page

Edited by David Schweizer

19 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I have set up my VNCpage but cant see the save changes button?

I had the same problem, managed to save it by bringing up the new VNC page with browse still open and bookmarking it.

The problem seems to be that the site works differently in different formats. Apparently it has decided that my computer is a mobile, so i get a completely different home page from othe PC users - Odd!!

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks David. I cancelled my original VNC page and started again. It brought up a sheet that had the options on and had a Save button at the bottom.

The problem I have now is that it is showing me all unread posts in a topic rather than taking me to the last one I have read. Bit of a pain!

42 minutes ago, Old Son said:

Thanks David. I cancelled my original VNC page and started again. It brought up a sheet that had the options on and had a Save button at the bottom.

The problem I have now is that it is showing me all unread posts in a topic rather than taking me to the last one I have read. Bit of a pain!

OK then, how did you cancel your original VNC page?  When I tried to do this (via the Activity Stream menu), there seemed to be no way of cancelling or deleting the 'custom stream' I had created.

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

OK then, how did you cancel your original VNC page?  When I tried to do this (via the Activity Stream menu), there seemed to be no way of cancelling or deleting the 'custom stream' I had created.

When you are using your own custom built activity stream, it's name appears in large letters on the left hand side, above the list of posts it has selected.

There are three buttons immediately to the right of the activity stream's name.  The first allows you to edit its name, the middle one (the one you presumably want) allows you to delete it, and the final one is to allow you to set it as your default.

I couldn't immediately see how you can edit an activity stream to change what it does, (ather than just its name), and then re-save it, though it surely ought to be possible?  I resorted to deleting, and starting again.

Usually I'm fairly computer literate, but am not finding all this completely intuitive, and some of it almost seems counter-intuitive!

I'm puzzled, or what am I missing? On my mobile screen near the top there is an icon showing that looks a bit like a SIM card but is presumably meant to represent a screen with text on it, and when I tap on it I get the VNC list exactly as I want it. I haven't had to create an activity stream or anything.

12 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I'm puzzled, or what am I missing? On my mobile screen near the top there is an icon showing that looks a bit like a SIM card but is presumably meant to represent a screen with text on it, and when I tap on it I get the VNC list exactly as I want it. I haven't had to create an activity stream or anything.

Yeesh, there's no pleasing some people!:clapping:

43 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

That icon is the same as the link to the right on higher resolution screens in that it is your default activity steam.  If you are happy with the default one you are done, but it is not the same as the old VNC which is what the instructions in the various threads show you how to create and make the default activity stream.

I tried to log in using my usual user name and password but it was rejected then locked me out. I registered as a new member to get in to read how to use the Forum now but having read all the above, I give up. It used to be so easy. Why do people have to "update" everything when showing how smart they are with a computer just make it more complicated rather than simpler.

I would love to see if anyone feels the same way but I am pretty sure I will never find this again.

So far most of the discussion has been from members who can sign on. Has anyone tried reading the forum as a visitor? it is hard work. Jan reads the forum as a visitor, and in the old site could always get View New Content, which came up under thread headings, Now she gets a long list of posts in reverse order, so reading all the posts in one thread is almost impossible. Trying to edit the settings does not work if you are not signed in! If this is the experience that new visitors to the site get, I supect that visitor readership will fall off very quickly.

55 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

So far most of the discussion has been from members who can sign on. Has anyone tried reading the forum as a visitor? it is hard work. Jan reads the forum as a visitor, and in the old site could always get View New Content, which came up under thread headings, Now she gets a long list of posts in reverse order, so reading all the posts in one thread is almost impossible. Trying to edit the settings does not work if you are not signed in! If this is the experience that new visitors to the site get, I supect that visitor readership will fall off very quickly.

I usually read the forum as a visitor. I find it just as easy as if I sign in. I just click on "All Activity", scroll down till I see a topic I want to read. That takes me to the last post, and I find it only takes a second to scroll up or click on page one, depending on whether I've read the topic previously or not. I'll continue this way just as happily as I did on the "old" forum, only logging in if I want to post something.

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

I tried to log in using my usual user name and password but it was rejected then locked me out. I registered as a new member to get in to read how to use the Forum ....

Sent an email to staff @ canalworld .net with your existing username and email address and I will resolve it for you. I can then merge your temporary account with the previous one if you wish.

Daniel