battery bank / banks

Robert Landon

Featured Posts

hi all , need your help and advise to see if I am going in the right direction or just going mad , with ref to battery bank / banks.

I know lots has been posted about this so please bare with me .

as you all know electrical and electronic gear and batteries  are  expensive , in fact outrageous , so I got thinking , that if I put minimum strain on the batteries for example  low discharge and low charge / cycle  rates they may last many more years .

so here is the question / idea , lets say I brought 10 x 12 volt  reasonable quality 100 ah c20 batteries wired in parallel and series to give me a 500 ah 24 volt battery bank , lets call this bank no 1 , all 240 v ac and 24 v dc are drawn from here but no charge from solar or wind , I then set up another  battery bank , lets call it  no 2 or sacrificial battery bank with 4 x 12 v 225 ah c5 much cheaper batteries , given me 450 ah at 24 volt , charged from solar and wind through mppt and mpw charges , the inverter from this bank would supply 240 v into bank no 1s  inverter/ charge as if was from shore / generator power , the idea been that the expensive batteries would be on a near constant float charge .

this seems more cost effective to replace 4 cheaper batteries but not sure if it will work .

any thoughts

many thanks

Robert

Edited by Robert Landon

You are spending an awful lot of money on something that should be viewed as a disposable.

You may well find that the solar/wind bank of batteries last longer than the others as they never reach a state of "nothinghappeningness" , meaning they don't sulphate to any great extent.

Charging one bank from another bank is very inefficient anyway.

Edited by matty40s

Batteries are disposable. Treat them as well as you can and they will give you a decent life.

Discharge them by more than 30% DoD (and less than 50% DoD for 'normal' batteries) and recharge them daily to close to 100% and they'll last you several years. Vary from that much (especially the daily charge to 100%) and their life will be concurrently shortened. 

More batteries should simply be put in parallel to make a bigger bank. Battery to battery charging is inefficient.