Satellite dish recomendations

blackrose

Featured Posts

Came home from work tonight and found that Doris had stolen my satellite dish. I should have taken it down this morning.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for a new dish that's not too difficult to mount? The last one was attached to the boat with a rusty G-clamp which wasn't ideal.

I just need a simple 45cm - 60cm zone 1 or 2 dish + LNB, nothing fancy.

Edited by blackrose

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Ebay?

Thanks, but I was looking for a model that's easy to fit rather than a supplier. I need a dish that I can easily mount to a pole or clamp to the roof overhang. Not sure that the dishes on eBay that come with wall mounting brackets are suitable.

Edited by blackrose

My Christmas treat 2015 was a Snipe twin LNB fully automatic .Doris never bothered it and it is just sat on the roof not yet fitted mounting plate.A bit more expensive now as from Germany due to £ versus euro. British suppliers do not have the twin LNB .

For me a Triax dish is best, because -

It has a solid mounting, making it easy to fix on a pole (I find the Sky style is difficult to get the declination absolutely right)

The arm can be made to fold - wasting less space inside the boat - if you stow it.

Our model is a TD64 - we also wanted to have more than one port on the LNB, which eliminates the prime focus variety. Having a pole means that we can put the dish up high to 'look' over the hedges on the Oxford.

(at home we have an ever bigger one, and that was a dream to install - because of the well designed mounting)

9 hours ago, OldGoat said:

For me a Triax dish is best, because -

It has a solid mounting, making it easy to fix on a pole (I find the Sky style is difficult to get the declination absolutely right)

The arm can be made to fold - wasting less space inside the boat - if you stow it.

Our model is a TD64 - we also wanted to have more than one port on the LNB, which eliminates the prime focus variety. Having a pole means that we can put the dish up high to 'look' over the hedges on the Oxford.

(at home we have an ever bigger one, and that was a dream to install - because of the well designed mounting)

That's a big old dish though- 64cm diameter and they're not cheap £34 just for the dish - no LNB.

I've just bought a basic 43cm dish with LNB off Amazon for £20 inc postage. I don't really know what the difference is between solid and mesh type dishes but I'm sure it'll be fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00064B9B4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shy dishes are OK 

if you don't need the arm to fold - a bit inconvenient for us as we take it down when cruising

or if the version is well built. Triax have a reputation for quality, whereas some Sky types are not.

otherwise they as smaller as you have found. On that topic I apologise - my dish is in fact a TD48 - which is appears they no longer make (and that's about a Sky size rotated through 90 degrees).

Hope it works well!