New software

Featured Posts

I used to look after a school website which used a standard package based on SharePoint but most of it was preconfigured by the IT supplier. I was able to override most of the styles by the use of CSS, it took a lot of work and the use of a few tools to inspect how each page was themed.

7 hours ago, mross said:

Clever!  can you get rid of the big logo at the top?  :clapping:

I use Adblock Plus - you can exclude the logo with that

It gives another three lines of topics on the screen in the View New Content list

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I use Adblock Plus - you can exclude the logo with that

It gives another three lines of topics on the screen in the View New Content list

Richard

Oh, I use AdBlock Plus and it does not doo that on my laptop.  Win 10 and Chrome/

Reply button? What reply button? If you want to reply without quoting, go to the end of the topic and write in the box there.  The only buttons I can see in posts are + which I think is to do with multiquoting, and 'quote'.   I can't see a button saying 'reply'.  But like you I haven't quite got the hang of everything yet.

What's this about?

IMG_0580.thumb.PNG.67a1cfd65e2e74a0a82afa7be6a1040d.PNG

The left hand column only turns up in a very occasional thread. When first seen, the two arrows are grey and there's a zero between them. Seems to be a way of giving plus and minus reputation. I've undone the ones I did for illustration since I didn't mean them, apols  to cuthound and Bee if they are getting weird notifications!

I've seen this on other boards. If someone asks a question then the responses can be voted up or down by other readers. So a poor answer could end up with a negative rating and a good answer with many positive points. 

57 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I've seen this on other boards. If someone asks a question then the responses can be voted up or down by other readers. So a poor answer could end up with a negative rating and a good answer with many positive points. 

Interesting idea, but doesn't explain why it happens just occasionally on here. Mind you, sometimes tapping the blob takes me to the top of the page rather than the first unread post, again with no rhyme or reason that I can see.

2 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Interesting idea, but doesn't explain why it happens just occasionally on here. Mind you, sometimes tapping the blob takes me to the top of the page rather than the first unread post, again with no rhyme or reason that I can see.

Think of it as an adventure. 

new problem:  in the Brexit topic I try to reply, and every time I click on the reply button it comes up with a quote which I have not asked for, and cannot fully delete..

done it again.  there is a 'reply to this topic button' below the latest post.  if I click on that (only in this topic) i get my the text from my previous post (as above).

Edited by Murflynn

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Just noticed when mods comment on the forum the background is a light tan colour.

I thought that was the whole point of the upgrade!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Just noticed, your own posts don't remind you of how many warning points you have. Tally ho, guys!

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

new problem:  in the Brexit topic I try to reply, and every time I click on the reply button it comes up with a quote which I have not asked for, and cannot fully delete..

done it again.  there is a 'reply to this topic button' below the latest post.  if I click on that (only in this topic) i get my the text from my previous post (as above).

The 'Reply to this topic' button on my laptop and (Windows) tablet is at the top of the page, and takes you to a box at the bottom where you can reply without quoting.  What device are you using?  Perhaps some techie can explain the difference in what we are seeing. (I used the quote button within your post to post this reply).

47 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The 'Reply to this topic' button on my laptop and (Windows) tablet is at the top of the page, and takes you to a box at the bottom where you can reply without quoting.  What device are you using?  Perhaps some techie can explain the difference in what we are seeing. (I used the quote button within your post to post this reply).

windows 7 on a PC.

the 'reply to this topic' button and the corresponding text box is immediately below the blue bar just below the last post in the topic.  

I just tried the reply box at the top of the page - no difference.

Edited by Murflynn

This is odd.  can you shut down the phone/PC/tablet completely and restart or reboot.  I have found that anomalies do ocurr occasionaly that are never resolved without a reboot.  I think this is called a 'memory leak' in the operating system.

No doubt lulu fish will carp at this.

22 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

windows 7 on a PC.

the 'reply to this topic' button and the corresponding text box is immediately below the blue bar just below the last post in the topic.  

I just tried the reply box at the top of the page - no difference.

Ah, the bottom one isn't exactly a button, but just text in the reply box which disappears when you start.  Do your unwanted quotes appear in the box when you are typing, or only after you press the 'Submit Reply' button?  I'm also using Windows 7 on a laptop, BTW.  Very odd.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet