New software

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

On my phone I press the icon to the left of the magnifying glass to load my "view new content" stream, although I did set it up on my iPad.

IMG_2970.thumb.PNG.8decbe2346e5d5a50bb2fff0afd0301e.PNG

Yes but the trouble is, although you can drive the poxy software lots of visitors can't ( or CBA), so traffic here is likely to slowly subside until the only the rump of posters who CAN be arsed, are left chatting amongst theirselves.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes but the trouble is, although you can drive the poxy software lots of visitors can't ( or CBA), so traffic here is likely to slowly subside until the only the rump of posters who CAN be arsed, are left chatting amongst theirselves.

Yes, have to agree - I'm well above pension age and am finding it difficult to take it all in.

All this 'setting it up' is passing me by - I just expected it to work'straight out of the box' like other forums I occasionally visit. I normally rely on younger family members to help me but that is with specific computer problems. Having them troll through pages of stuff is a big ask, so I will probably be visiting here less and less.

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

On my phone I press the icon to the left of the magnifying glass to load my "view new content" stream, although I did set it up on my iPad.

IMG_2970.thumb.PNG.8decbe2346e5d5a50bb2fff0afd0301e.PNG

Well I'm damned - mine does that too! I never asked it to and had you not mentioned it I'd never have realised.

Just another aspect of this frustrating new format. Why not have the VNC set up as one click as it was before which appears to be a majority desire and all other variations as the clickable options. 

33 minutes ago, starman said:

Why not have the VNC set up as one click as it was before which appears to be a majority desire and all other variations as the clickable options. 

I would agree assuming that were possible, I don't know if it is possible so am not prepared to jump up and down about it.  I assume the "team" will slowly get things to the best state suiting the majority of posters that it is possible to achieve.

These things take time.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two links on the page?   I would like to have my "New Content" activity stream (whatever one of those is) and the activity stream which shows the threads I have posted in.

It seems a bit of a faff to have to go and click on the activity streams every time you have finished reading one thread.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two links on the page?   I would like to have my "New Content" activity stream (whatever one of those is) and the activity stream which shows the threads I have posted in.

It seems a bit of a faff to have to go and click on the activity streams every time you have finished reading one thread.

How about opening another tab in your browser?

Whilst I have managed to set up my computer to bring up "view new content" I am still not without problems, especially if I post, and then on the "go back one page" tab which only takes me back to the first page, but not back to VNC. The whole thing is still very messy,  and there seems to virtually no suggestions or contributions from the site staff, except remonstration if we dare to suggest that all is not well.

17 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Set up separate browser bookmarks for each activity stream.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Set up separate browser bookmarks for each activity stream.

Again yes that would work but it really shouldn't be necessary should it.  I know the team really had no choice but upgrade but the software writers seem to have improved things worse.

Now that we are allowed to discuss politics, religion, mention thunderboat,, and the mod team seems to be almost sane, it's great that we have been given something to moan about.

Let me just chuck my hat in the ring and say that I think the new forum software is much less user-friendly then the old.

there - it's out now...

• Greenie 1

Configuring the new content stream is one thing, but even then, there's so much white space that I find it difficult to skim the list as previously. It doesn't help that the authorship information is now the same font size as the thread title, so the eye doesn't skip over it as easily.

I use a browser extension called Stylish which lets you supply your own stylesheets for other people's sites. A little tweaking, and the New Content view looks like the attached pic, which I find much easier. The same stylesheet can also disable some of the extraneous clutter in threads themselves, such as profile pics (I'm sure everyone's lovely, but I could really do without close-up eyes staring straight at me in every other post).

In case it's useful to anyone else, I've uploaded the altered style here: https://userstyles.org/styles/139567/canal-world-compact

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 11.17.25.png

• Greenie 1

My problem with this new site was in logging on, I kept getting a pop up asking me to complete setting up my account & if I pressed cancel it told me my account would be deleted so I naturally got out out of the site & tried entering again only to get exactly the same pop up! No matter what I tried, deleting browser history, Bing search etc., I could not get back to the sign in page.

In desperation, I tried accessing the site with IE instead of my preferred & usual Firefox browser (where I was having the issue) & managed to sign in. Whilst finally on the site, I used the new(?) contact link to relay the problem I was having, which so far has not been responded to after 2 days. Today, I bit the bullet & "created" my account from the, now extremely iritating, pop up to see what would happen & finally got logged in. I logged out & then back in using my original details & now all is well. I hope!

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, when I "completed" setting up my account, I had mispelled my regular username & I have now created an account called BergeeSpud which is obviously useless now.

Can someone in Technical please delete this account for me please.

Cheers.

Ade.

2 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

Configuring the new content stream is one thing, but even then, there's so much white space that I find it difficult to skim the list as previously. It doesn't help that the authorship information is now the same font size as the thread title, so the eye doesn't skip over it as easily.

I use a browser extension called Stylish which lets you supply your own stylesheets for other people's sites. A little tweaking, and the New Content view looks like the attached pic, which I find much easier. The same stylesheet can also disable some of the extraneous clutter in threads themselves, such as profile pics (I'm sure everyone's lovely, but I could really do without close-up eyes staring straight at me in every other post).

In case it's useful to anyone else, I've uploaded the altered style here: https://userstyles.org/styles/139567/canal-world-compact

Richard that is AWESOME!!!!!!

SOOOOOO much better than the dreadful wasteful use of precious screen space before.

Have a Big Fat Greenie :D

3 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

That's a huge improvement.  Thanks Richard.

A very clever program.  I had no idea you could tweak a site like that.

4 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

You, Sir, are a genius! And so easy to do too - much easier than cobbling together a search

Can you do something about the in-thread pages too?

Richard

One of the techies should be able to make the same modifications to the CSS that the site uses to reduce the amount of white space so the extension is not required and the benefits available to all browsers and devices.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

One of the techies should be able to make the same modifications to the CSS that the site uses to reduce the amount of white space so the extension is not required and the benefits available to all browsers and devices.

i agree that is the correct way to do this, the excessive white space is not a great design, and it really needs removing on mobile devices.

I dont  like the concept of messing with the style on the client really either, other than for trying stuff out as it is limited.