New software

Featured Posts

On 23/02/2017 at 21:59, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Am sort of coping with the new format but have one query. I use Firefox and everytime I logged on it came up with a message in the top left of the screen saying "Allow notifications from this site/Block notifications from this site/Not now". To begin with i just clicked " not now" but everytime I changed pages or read through a thread the same message kept coming up. Eventually I lost patience and clicked,"Block notifications from this site" and am no longer bothered by the pop-up. Will I now miss anything of any importance?:unsure:

Same with me, but I can't find a way to stop it appearing - I don't seem to have the choice of 'Block notifications from this site'.

Any suggestions how to get rid of it?

eta- it only happens on the laptop, on an ipad it does not appear!!!

Edited by Mike Tee

Go to the Firefox menu New Fx Menu and select OptionsPreferences.
Select the Content panel and click the Choose… button under Notifications.
Select the site.
Click Remove Site.
To stop all sites from sending you push messages, follow the above steps except, instead of selecting a specific site, click Remove All Sites. Websites will not be able to send you messages and will need to ask your permission to send them in the future.

Edited by mross

I havebeen finding my way around the new-look forum. One thing that I notice, which to me is a step backwards, is that when I click on a thread title in the list of new additions, I am taken to the first post in the thread (which may be many pages ago) instead of to the most recent, or to the first unread one.

Is this something which I am doing wrong, or which is a feature of the new programming?

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I havebeen finding my way around the new-look forum. One thing that I notice, which to me is a step backwards, is that when I click on a thread title in the list of new additions, I am taken to the first post in the thread (which may be many pages ago) instead of to the most recent, or to the first unread one.

Is this something which I am doing wrong, or which is a feature of the new programming?

You need to click the little icon to the left of the title, either a circle, or a star if you've posted on that thread. This takes you to the first unread post in the thread.

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

You need to click the little icon to the left of the title, either a circle, or a star if you've posted on that thread. This takes you to the first unread post in the thread.

That is the same as the old software, so no change. 

Noticed there is now an RSS link on the top right of the 'unread content' page. :)

This could be used to get new content via an RSS reader or an online RSS reader website like feedly:

(Might not be to everyone's taste, and a bit fiddly, but hey-ho...)

FeedlyCanalworld.png

Edited by smileypete

54 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes indeed, thanks, as we have always done - but I am finding that sometimes the first post in the thread comes up on the screen instead.

22 minutes ago, smileypete said:

Noticed there is now an RSS link on the top right of the 'unread content' page. :)

This could be used to get new content via an RSS reader or an online RSS reader website like feedly:

(Might not be to everyone's taste, and a bit fiddly, but hey-ho...)

FeedlyCanalworld.png

I have this setup using Feedly on my phone, but the format isn't too good.

Scrub that, have just changed Feedly view settings, its now more useable.

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

That is the same as the old software, so no change. 

At first I thought you were right, but I think I've got it: I can't remember the exact configuration of titles of topics on the old View New Content page (could we have that back, please?) but I have a feeling that the blobs and stars were somehow separated from the thread titles - either by being in a separate column, or just physically further away.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

At first I thought you were right, but I think I've got it: I can't remember the exact configuration of titles of topics on the old View New Content page (could we have that back, please?) but I have a feeling that the blobs and stars were somehow separated from the thread titles - either by being in a separate column, or just physically further away.

Yes I think it is easier to hit the title rather than the circle icon/star by accident, than it used to be. Certainly so on a tablet.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

They might have been further away, but you are the one on the site staff, so shouldn't you be telling us how it all works :)

• Greenie 1

You'd best stop taking the tablets then, young Nick.

But seriously yes, that may be what I have been doing, so I may have been the engineer of my own misfortune.

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

They might have been further away, but you are the one on the site staff, so shouldn't you be telling us how it all works :)

No, I am not a member of the technical staff, in fact I'm not a scientific sort of person at all.

(I assume that you knew this and that you were pulling my lower limb).

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

You'd best stop taking the tablets then, young Nick.

But seriously yes, that may be what I have been doing, so I may have been the engineer of my own misfortune.

No, I am not a member of the technical staff, in fact I'm not a scientific sort of person at all.

(I assume that you knew this and that you were pulling my lower limb).

Yes a bit of course.

On 24 February 2017 at 00:41, nicknorman said:

I have to say that "my activity streams" sounds like something I'd encounter at primary school. But you'll get used to it. Eventually. 

I think I've finally grasped how to set my 'activity stream' but I still need several clicks to reach it. Is it possible to achieve one click nirvana ?

12 minutes ago, starman said:

I think I've finally grasped how to set my 'activity stream' but I still need several clicks to reach it. Is it possible to achieve one click nirvana ?

When you have selected your stream click the tick (the third dot) next to the title and it will be saved as your default which then appears top right of the screen.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

When you have selected your stream click the tick (the third dot) next to the title and it will be saved as your default which then appears top right of the screen.

Not on my iphone unless I'm doing it wrong which is entirely possible. 

2 minutes ago, starman said:

Not on my iphone unless I'm doing it wrong which is entirely possible. 

If you have a square with three lines in the top right corner then I've not found a way to have the activity stream pinned, the only options would be to add the URL for the view to your bookmarks or have to click the three line square on select it from the menu each time.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

If you have a square with three lines in the top right corner then I've not found a way to have the activity stream pinned, the only options would be to add the URL for the view to your bookmarks or have to click the three line square on select it from the menu each time.

Ah well at least I tried! I can go back to grumbling about the new format.