New software

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

You took the words out of my mouth Mike, except that i would not have been as polite. The whole thing is a mess which is impossible to navigate, with differernt pages displaying on different operating systems and devices, relying on individual members to configure the site to work on theor machine, except that half the buttons required do not appear on all devices.

As the new site appears to be insufficiently intelligent enough to identify different end users, perhaps the site staff should publish an on line manual to help people steer through the mess in order to configure the site to work on their equipment.

It's not that it's broken as such. The new search functionality is designed in such a way that allows it to be customised extensively and provide more control over the search results given. I appreciate users have spent some time tailoring this to their needs as they familiarise themselves with the new software. This is something I recommend doing when you have a spare 5-10 minutes if you haven't already done so.

While it can be configured to near replicate the behaviour of VNC as others have discussed we appreciate it's not the same "out of the box". 

Again, we had no choice but to upgrade the forum software. It would have been irresponsible if we hadn't as the old version is no longer going to be supported or maintained by its developers, I.e no security updates etc. 

We're going to make the forum descriptions more concise shortly as to reduce the amount of scrolling required. - some are quite wordy. This change will no doubt help in this respect. 

RichM

When you write a post. don't use the enter key, let the text scroll automatically at the end of the line.  The enter key being used like a carriage return has not been used for a long long time in Word Processors.  It is done so that the text will format properly on all screen sizes,  It won't take long to develop this new habit.  I've just adopted it myself!

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Match your config to the one I posted at the top of page 2. I think you need to change "Show me" to items only.

Thanks Nick that seems to do the trick.  So I now have a "View New Content" that I think is as close to what was there before as you will get.  For anyone else, I would recommend if you can to set this up on a PC, last night I was using an iPad and a lot of the stuff is very small on the screen and it is hard to work out, on PC it is much better when you are finding you way around.

This is what I now have with the key areas highlighted.  Go to "My Activity Streams" and then "Create New Stream".  I called my new stream "View New Content", for the setting the key is to use as indicated Show Me as "Items Only" and Content Types as "Topics", other settings to taste.  Take note that when you have created the stream and are displaying it, editing the values does not stick, so if you want to change it delete the stream and create it again.  When you have the stream displayed, then to the right of the name is the little (very little on iPad) check box icon, click that and it will make the stream be the default and it will appear as a link to the top right next to the "Mark site read" action.  You can use the expanded/condensed, but that does not seem to stick between session for me.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.fdecd6047f74f22ca3c44372ccf259a5.jpg

4 minutes ago, mross said:

When you write a post. don't use the enter key, let the text scroll automatically at the end of the line.  The enter key being used like a carriage return has not been used for a long long time in Word Processors.  It is done so that the text will format properly on all screen sizes,  It won't take long to develop this new habit.  I've just adopted it myself!

and if you want a line feed it is shift+return as you would do in Word etc.

• Greenie 1

Blimey this is awful. Where is my view new content button? How do I reply directly to a post? will it ever get better? Why on earth in this day and age can the old stuff be kept and supported if thats the phrase? all this constant every couple of years " PROGRESS " is a load of nonsense. I know its not the forum owners fault but why does it happen?

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey this is awful. Where is my view new content button? How do I reply directly to a post? will it ever get better? Why on earth in this day and age can the old stuff be kept and supported if thats the phrase? all this constant every couple of years " PROGRESS " is a load of nonsense. I know its not the forum owners fault but why does it happen?

Is your Model T Ford still running OK, and spare parts not a problem? :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Personally I think the rot started when the carrier pigeons were retired.

Anyway, it doesn't do "view new content" out of the box but it takes just a minute to set up if you follow the instructions above. To reply directly to a post you click "quote" as before, or if you want to reply without quoting anyone you just click into the reply area at the bottom of the page.

Anyway, whilst no-one like change especially old codgers, I can understand why it had to be done. So give Rich a break - he's spent a lot of time on it for free, and would probably quite like some appreciation rather than griping! I bet that, if members spend a few minutes setting their "view new content" and condensed listing, within a week they'll have forgotten that there used to be a different system and will relish never losing a half-typed post again.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

So what " Improvements " have the new formatt given us?

Improved security, a supported system, automatic storage of half typed posts so you can't lose them, better customisation of appearance to suit individuals. Probably lots else that I've not found yet. Anyway it's progress which is a good thing by definition!

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, whilst no-one like change especially old codgers, I can understand why it had to be done. So give Rich a break - he's spent a lot of time on it for free, and would probably quite like some appreciation rather than griping! I bet that, if members spend a few minutes setting their "view new content" and condensed listing, within a week they'll have forgotten that there used to be a different system and will relish never losing a half-typed post again.

Improved security, a supported system, automatic storage of half typed posts so you can't lose them, better customisation of appearance to suit individuals. Probably lots else that I've not found yet. Anyway it's progress which is a good thing by definition!

Ahh thanks :wacko: so by better security my bank account is more secire now then? I know there was no choice and Rich and everyone has done a good job but Allans analogy tho a piss take is quite correct. Cars have moved on hugely since the model T ford but every couple of years or so we endure changes ont tinternet with no percieved value, just a pain to get used to.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

this new software could just sound the death-knell of CWDF.

100% agree. I came back here this morning to say exactly that. I won't be back to take part in any further debate until I can find a way to make the new format more useable. I'll call in from time to time to see how it's panning out.

I see I got three greenies for more earleir comment. I'm surprised there ae still three of us here.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

100% agree. I came back here this morning to say exactly that. I won't be back to take part in any further debate until I can find a way to make the new format more useable. I'll call in from time to time to see how it's panning out.

I see I got three greenies for more earleir comment. I'm surprised there ae still three of us here.

Mike you cannot go we have lost too many good posters of late and this damned update is certainly not helping!! You must keep trying old bean :huh:

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Mike you cannot go we have lost too many good posters of late and this damned update is certainly not helping!! You must keep trying old bean :huh:

He's just having a tantrum. Withdrawal symptoms will set in soon and he will collect his toys and be back. Anyway, it means we can say rude things about him behind his back and he'll never know!

Oh and by the way, the + symbol left of the quote button is for multi-quote if anyone hasn't realised.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, DaveandDebby said:

This morning it took me less than five minutes to delete my old bookmark, create a new one, set up an Activity Stream the way I want it....Hardly rocket science! Yes, it's different from the old forum - things change, get used to it! 

I take it from your post that you are considerably younger than some of us? I may be wrong of course but I wasnot brought up with mobile fones and tinternet they simply did not exist  until I was in my thirties therefore it all has to be learnt and much is nonsense. What is a Bookmark? and " Activity stream? etc etc yes it is rocket science unless you are a twelve year old doing Farcebook.

8 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Just noticed if you press the green "up" arrow on a post the heart goes green but also a red "down" arrow appears.

Is there a way to see your own total of greenies, it isn't in the personal profile any more.

Looks like they've been wiped out Ray.

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

this new software could just sound the death-knell of CWDF.

We have head about the death knell of CWDF a lot lately.  No doubt another site was already proclaiming weeks or months ago that we were on our last legs, and would not survive.

Somehow it never seems to happen, and I can't really imagine things like having to spend a few minutes configuring things to work as you want will bring it to its knees.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I take it from your post that you are considerably younger than some of us? I may be wrong of course but I wasnot brought up with mobile fones and tinternet they simply did not exist  until I was in my thirties therefore it all has to be learnt and much is nonsense. What is a Bookmark? and " Activity stream? etc etc yes it is rocket science unless you are a twelve year old doing Farcebook.

I'm 59 years old. I've been working as a packer in a warehouse for the past three years, where my only use of a computer is to scan a barcode, key in three numbers and hit return twice. I also had no dealings with the Internet or mobile phones till I was in my thirties. I joined Facebook last October, reluctantly, but after Dave had a stroke I realised it was the only way I was going to be able to contact some of his friends. Now I use it daily, have never encountered any twelve year olds on there, but do enjoy taking the mickey out of the people I work with. Things in life change. Adapt or stay in your cave. 

• Greenie 2