Unread Content

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

At the moment it is not obvious how having displayed threads with "unread content", I actually get to go to the first unread post, rtaher than the first post in the thread.

Scrub that - I have found it - it is easy - just different!

Top right, jus below the search box, I have a button marked "unread content", (next to something like "mark all forum content as read".).

Where the headings for threads on the "unread content" page are listed, immediately to the right of the thread title is a big round dot.  Hover over that, and it shows its purpose is to go to first unread post in that thread.

14 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The trick is to make yourself a new stream

Richard

As said, it has changed a bit, and in becoming power flexible and powerful does require a little experimentation and configuration to get what you are after. 

However you can set it up to give you topics/thread, that are new to you, sorted newest first, and such that you go to the first unread post.

Daniel

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

How you getting on, Dan? I see you have mastered 'quote'

Richard

Going well! Yeah, I was trying to be clever using 'short cuts' that worked on the old system, but it appears that currently the software is not automatically merging recent posts from the same users as it used to, something I am sure can be configured.

Daniel

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

May depend on the device and screen size you are using. On my tablet top right is three lines, click on there, then activity and under there was New Content.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Ooo you must have the mobile version can't find that on mine

There is not as such a 'mobile skin' as a single skin which resizes depending on the size (pixel width, I presume) of the screen its displayed on.

I wont got into too much detail here as there are other thread covering the topic, but the benefit of this is that all functionality, such as uploading images, is available at all screen sizes. The drawback is that there is more shown on the mobile screen which on smaller mobiles can appear cluttered. We do have options the change the look, and can pay for other skin options, but initially we will use this one for now.

Daniel

So is in not possible to change what the "Unread Content" as you usd to be able to do with View New Content.  Yes you can creat you own activity stream to do that but that not easy to get to, 2 clicks....

edit it to add, it is 3 clicks not one to get the your own stream rather then he linked unread content, can you own strand be add d a a link perhaps,

Edited by john6767

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

So is in not possible to change what the "Unread Content" as you usd to be able to do with View New Content.  Yes you can creat you own activity stream to do that but that not easy to get to, 2 clicks....

John, I have moved your post into the thread on the same topic.

I am not sure if we can change the site-wide defaults, or if a member can set their steam to be the default for them, but we will look into it.

Daniel

If you set your custom stream to be your default , it changes the 'view unread' button. Mine now says 'View New Content' because that's what I called my custom stream

Richard

Edited by RLWP

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

If you set your custom stream to be your default , it changes the 'view unread' button. Mine now says 'View New Content' because that's what I called my custom stream

Richard

Great news. I thought I had done that on the WSCC forum.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Ok this seeing posts all didconnect d in doing my head in, it like Facebook in concept, which I have never liked.  Anyway how do you make your stream the default?

To the right of the steam title, there are three buttons ;  edit steam, remove steam, make default.

Daniel

6 minutes ago, DHutch said:

To the right of the steam title, there are three buttons ;  edit steam, remove steam, make default.

Daniel

And if you do not have a "stream" title? For some reason most of the buttons, drop downs etc. that various people are mentioning do not appear on my computer.

Edited by David Schweizer

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

And if you do not have a "stream" title? For some reason most of the buttons etc that various people are mentioning so not appear on my computer

It should be used below the big grey banner detailing that the search is currently still indexing?

- See below screen shot.

VNC Default Buttons.png

Sorry but this new look is a big step in the wrong direction for me. I do most of my reading on the phone and I'm now scrolling endlessly to get through 'new content' because there is so little info on a page and so much space wasted with bumpf. 

Virtually every forum I use has a straightforward grid style layout that you can scan fast to find what you want. 

Using the 'unread content' button

• Set the 'content type' drop down to 'topics' to show results and threads rather than posts.
  • Set results to display in 'condensed' mode if you do not want to see previews of each result.
  • Click on the dot or start at the left of the title to go directly to the first unread post rather than the top of the page.
  • Save your preferred search settings as an custom 'activity stream' to go back to wherever you want.
  • Make this the default 'unread content' search by clicking the tick to the right of the activity steam title.
  • This can then be 'bookmarked' on your broswer if you wish.

Daniel

Thanks for the feedback.

One thing to add is that the search indexing is still in process and is just ~27% complete. (attached) This will take some time to complete. (I will say when) but until then the search functionality isn't complete. - but can still be configured to your style in the meantime.

indexing.png

5 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Using the 'unread content' button

• Set the 'content type' drop down to 'topics' to show results and threads rather than posts.
  • Set results to display in 'condensed' mode if you do not want to see previews of each result.
  • Click on the dot or start at the left of the title to go directly to the first unread post rather than the top of the page.
  • Save your preferred search settings as an custom 'activity stream' to go back to wherever you want.
  • Make this the default 'unread content' search by clicking the tick to the right of the activity steam title.
  • This can then be 'bookmarked' on your broswer if you wish.

Daniel

For me at least changing the Content type does not stick, so I deleted the stream and created again with that option

however that whilst now showing topics is still showing multiply entries for the same thread like this one.

Edited by john6767

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

It should be used below the big grey banner detailing that the search is currently still indexing?

- See below screen shot.

VNC Default Buttons.png

I do not have "view new content" with icons belowthe grey information banner. I have "unread content" with an option to set or unset it as my default stream. ticking or unticking it does not seem to make any difference.

I am prompted to ask "why is the new format so complicated and differnt on different decices etyc. Why can't it be configured so that it works in all operating systems and on all devices. If people like Scerewfix and ebay worked like this forum update,  they would go bankrupt pretty quickly.

Edited by David Schweizer