decent quality bus bars

MtB

Featured Posts

Brass has four times the resistivity of copper so the I2R losses will be sixteen times greater.

Errr, it's the I that is squared, not the R. But anyway, you could still use brass but just make it thicker than you would have done for copper.

As said, copper is pretty soft and probably not a good idea to tap a thread and screw down hard into it. Also it may tend to compress over time resulting in the connections coming loose.

Edited by nicknorman

Mike, why do you want to drill and tap? What's wrong with nuts and bolts? Just asking.

perfectionism (I suspect) and not meant in a bad way clapping.gif

Correct. Nuts and bolts would actually be fine but tapped holes with machine screws are just a bit more elegant.

Correct. Nuts and bolts would actually be fine but tapped holes with machine screws are just a bit more elegant.

Best to drill and tap as suggested, run bolt in from behind the busbar, then use a nut and washers on the front to secure the lug. That way the thread in the busbar retains the bolt, but the connection is not reliant on that thread. That is how we did them on HV installations.

Brass has four times the resistivity of copper so the I2R losses will be sixteen times greater.

It would be 4 x losses than in copper. Loss is proportional to 'R'.

If you passed 4 x the current in copper, then you would have 16 x heating loss, since proportional to I2 .

go on...mek yer own, it will be very satisfying, especially if you manage to drill all the holes in a perfect straight line,

m8 bolts should be big enough, I have a set of taps if you don't. I would use copper cus copper is the right stuff for electric things, and its just so nice, a proper semi-precious metal, whilst brass (gypsies gold) is just ponced up tin. What about cutting up a broom handle to make the supports?

............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

go on...mek yer own, it will be very satisfying, especially if you manage to drill all the holes in a perfect straight line,

m8 bolts should be big enough, I have a set of taps if you don't. I would use copper cus copper is the right stuff for electric things, and its just so nice, a proper semi-precious metal, whilst brass (gypsies gold) is just ponced up tin. What about cutting up a broom handle to make the supports?

............Dave

And you can polish it every week