decent quality bus bars

MtB

Featured Posts

Had a look on line earlier looking for a bus bar. I was imagining, say, a brass bar with six M8 or M10 holes in it with a bolt and washer in each hole, costing perhaps a tenner.

No flippin' chance! Even the weediest and flimsiest bus bar with M6 studs seems to be £30+ to my surprise.

Does anyone know of a sensibly priced and substantial bus bar please? Many thanks if you can cite one!

(Why are they SOOO expensive?!)

Had a look on line earlier looking for a bus bar. I was imagining, say, a brass bar with six M8 or M10 holes in it with a bolt and washer in each hole, costing perhaps a tenner.

No flippin' chance! Even the weediest and flimsiest bus bar with M6 studs seems to be £30+ to my surprise.

Does anyone know of a sensibly priced and substantial bus bar please? Many thanks if you can cite one!

(Why are they SOOO expensive?!)

How many studs, how many amps total?

But that's weedy. I'm suspecting Mike might be looking for something like a 500A busbar (I was). Something like 1/4" x 1 1/2" x whatever length would do it in copper.

C'mon mross, thanks for the link but those cable screws are M4 - it's TINY, and still costs well over a tenner!

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Can't you source some heavy gauge brass strip, maybe from a tip and drill accordingly?

Yes I can. But as with most things like this I expected to find some done on ebay already, for not a great deal of money.

Given I want two, I may well dust off the pillar drill and dig out an M10 tap.

Not sure why people keep suggesting copper though. Brass is a far more suitable material I'd have thought, as copper is well-bendy!

A bit cheapo looking. I think a stack of large tap washers perhaps!

Hmmm looking at brass bar on ebay, it seems a piece of bar the right size (1" x ½" x 8") is about a tenner, including postage.

Perhaps an opportunity to go into business.

Mike the Busbarman!

Perhaps an opportunity to go into business.

Mike the Busbarman!

Very droll!

I am already in business though, and making busbars is not my idea of how to make a fortune ;)

Although I do feel a batch of 1,000 could be produced in a machine shop in a day or so, so could actually be very good business to someone already tooled up.

Very droll!

I am already in business though, and making busbars is not my idea of how to make a fortune wink.png

Although I do feel a batch of 1,000 could be produced in a machine shop in a day or so, so could actually be very good business to someone already tooled up.

Suspect your right. Although 30 quid isn't cheap,I thought it was a reasonable price to pay compared to some of the overpriced boaty junk you see.