That sinking feeling...!

Chop!

Featured Posts

I had a feeling that maybe our skin tanks were leaking where the balance pipe runs (at the front of the engine 'ole bulkhead.)

I said I'd investigate...

SWSBO said "Don't go poking around finding more problems that we don't need"

Off she went to work, ten minutes later I'd found a little water in the cabin bilge (under the cabin steps), I started to suck it out with a wet & dry hoover...

A piece of rust went up with the water and a fountain of water shot up from the baseplate! help.gif

I screwed a roofing screw, a tap washer and some silicon into the hole which stemmed the leak.

So, a month after we overplated her, we now have to overplate the baseplate!

Edited by Chop!

At least you found the hole somewhere you could get to... Our leaks used to be in interesting places under the Rayburn, on the swim behind the lining .. The cat used to be good because she was intrigued by the sound of a leak, and would go to the source. Unfortunately she couldn't mix cement or weild a screwdriver... That involved delegation. In the end we just lost the whole 18 inches of boat and rebuilt.

So, I struggled to find a steel stockist that could deliver next day. I found one that could deliver about half the required steel the following day. We took the boat out onto the slip, then I got a call to say there was a mistake and they had no stock and a 2 week wait!

I then found some in Northampton for next day delivery but then realised that the first company had taken £1300+ from my account.

Much gnashing of teeth followed, finally got my dosh repaid 

We decided to re-float Freyja and instead use a trailer, we've laid the steel out on it and it is being welded into one piece, we will then float Freyja on top, weld around the chines and then flame cut the excess off.

Once that is done I'll remove the rust around the cooling tanks/balance pipe/bulkhead and, hopefully, weld a plate over it to fix our skintank leak.

On 24/02/2017 at 10:37, Mikexx said:

Where was it overplated? In my ignorance I thought it was the baseplate you overplated a month ago!!

What did the survey show?

One of our fellow boaters overplated it here at our marina, we then got the baseplate tested and it showed 5.5-6.0mm on numerous test spots. Unfortunately, as we now know, there was a small problem area that happened to be twixt several test readings.