Batteries constantly dying even though on trickle charge - help!

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

Ditchcrawler

Are you being facetious? clapping.gif

In case you hadn't gathered, the boat was not exactly a 'top end ' one, and I am an impoverished single parent who simply wanted to give my offspring a roof near his place of work. Yes I know you think I got off the last bus, but one has to cut ones cloth according to ones purse help.gif

Yours appreciativlely

I think you are doing well, if you can work logically through all that is said here you will get to the bottom of the problem.

Ditchcrawler

Are you being facetious? clapping.gif

In case you hadn't gathered, the boat was not exactly a 'top end ' one, and I am an impoverished single parent who simply wanted to give my offspring a roof near his place of work. Yes I know you think I got off the last bus, but one has to cut ones cloth according to ones purse help.gif

Yours appreciativlely

I think you do Ditchcrawler a disservice.

He quite rightly suggested that the boys 'toys' (X-box, whatever) would normally run off the landline / mains and not the 12v battery (unless you have an inverter).

Leaving the lights on all night would certainly flatten the battery in very short order.

It's worth repeating, so I shall...

You need a new battery (you've killed the existing one) and to keep it like new you also require a 'proper' battery charger, properly installed. Something like this would do well: http://sterling-power.com/collections/marine-battery-chargers/products/pro-charge-ultra

Yes, it's a lot more money, but needs must. Perhaps someone else is aware of a cheaper charger of at least 10A output?

MROSS

Do I actually have an inverter though? It seems from the comments re the rcd that I don't have one?

I have asked his neighbours - one of whom I bought the boat off - and they don't have a clue.

You could have. Many boats have both. They are not mutually exclusive ;-)

You are all very kind for taking the trouble to help me out (even though I'm sure you think I'm some sort of dingbat!).

As Ditchcrawler queries-shouldn't everything simply work off the connection to the mains from the shoreline??? After all, inm y house, I don't plug in an extension lead to a socket, and then need a battery to run the TV to which it is attached do I? Or am I missing a vital point?

On my boat, I don't have any electrical (mains) 'sockets' just 12v lighter socket things,, but when I'm stationary, I plug in my shoreline to the mains and shove the other end through my boat's window (someone kindly modified the lead for me so it has a normal extension lead at the end not a plug into boat end) and put the kettle on, hairdryer, laptop, and don't use my leisure batteries at all.

You are all very kind for taking the trouble to help me out (even though I'm sure you think I'm some sort of dingbat!).

As Ditchcrawler queries-shouldn't everything simply work off the connection to the mains from the shoreline??? After all, inm y house, I don't plug in an extension lead to a socket, and then need a battery to run the TV to which it is attached do I? Or am I missing a vital point?

On my boat, I don't have any electrical (mains) 'sockets' just 12v lighter socket things,, but when I'm stationary, I plug in my shoreline to the mains and shove the other end through my boat's window (someone kindly modified the lead for me so it has a normal extension lead at the end not a plug into boat end) and put the kettle on, hairdryer, laptop, and don't use my leisure batteries at all.

YOU NEED SOMEONE QUALIFIED TO CHECK OUT YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

From an earlier post "The boat has sockets (like in a house, no lighter type sockets). The water pump and lights run off 12v I understand, and it it these that are dying/have stopped working"

I have spent thousands on getting my boat canalworthy and have lost all faith in 'professionals' as they definitely see me coming. I currently can't afford to spend money on anything that I might be able to sort myself with some effort/energy/gumption and a lot of homework, and - a little help from my (hopefully) new friends on here.

If someone can answer my earlier query about why I need batteries when the boat is attached to a mains shoreline, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Stop immediately.

That is highly dangerous, will invalidate any insurance you have and probably invalidates the BSSC as well.

You are putting your Son's life at risk.

Mains voltage and water do not make good bed-fellows.

Get a qualified boat-electrician to sort it.

Extension lead through the window!!

With kettle, hairdryer etc?!!!

Please,before you kill your son or a neighbour get someone qualified with boat electrics to check what you are doing. Don't take any notice of your advising neighbour - they haven't got a clue.

I have spent thousands on getting my boat canalworthy and have lost all faith in 'professionals' as they definitely see me coming. I currently can't afford to spend money on anything that I might be able to sort myself with some effort/energy/gumption and a lot of homework, and - a little help from my (hopefully) new friends on here.

If someone can answer my earlier query about why I need batteries when the boat is attached to a mains shoreline, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Because you have 12v systems onboard.

ETA: With all due respect you clearly don't have much idea about the electrical system and neither does your neighbour. Stop getting advice from them and please seek advice from someone who either knows what they are doing or is qualified.

Y

Edited by Naughty Cal

Many thanks

Your lights and pump (and other things mentioned earlier in the post) probably run from your battery.If your battery charger can't keep up with the demand, the battery will eventually fail. Although it may not sound like a lot, running lights (are they l.e.d) and pumps can be a fair drain on a battery.

Many thanks

Because all of the things plugged into the 'lighter sockets', plus the lights, plus the water pump, plus the bilge pump, plus lots of unknown other stuff, is all using 12v from the batteries which is not being replaced by the battery charger.

Think of it like a bucket - you fill it full of water, the 1st day you take out 1/2 pint and put back in 1/4 of a pint, the 2nd day the same, the 3rd day the same - after a few days you end up with insufficient water to take out the 1/2 pint. - the bucket is empty

That is your batteries. - you are taking out (say) 5 amps and putting back in 3 amps. That is why your batteries are 'goosed'.

(snip)

You need a new battery (you've killed the existing one) and to keep it like new you also require a 'proper' battery charger, properly installed. Something like this would do well: http://sterling-power.com/collections/marine-battery-chargers/products/pro-charge-ultra

Yes, it's a lot more money, but needs must. Perhaps someone else is aware of a cheaper charger of at least 10A output?

Looks like the Rolls Royce of chargers :)

Thanks Alan, my son'sl ife isn't at risk as the adaptation is on my boat and rarely used. I will cease forthwith.

Ok - but I am getting confused - I understood that your Son was living on the boat, and that the 'modified' mains lead was on the boat, and was used for the kettle etc etc.

Whoever is on the boat is at severe risk.

If the lead 'chafes' along the window frame and cuts the insulation the whole boat would / could become 'live', which is something the occupants may not be.

Because you have 12v systems onboard.

ETA: With all due respect you clearly don't have much idea about the electrical system and neither does your neighbour. Stop getting advice from them and please seek advice from someone who either knows what they are doing or is qualified.

Y

Seconded above, ask about for recommendations of boat electricians and get more than one opinion. Ask them to show and explain to you what everything is and how it works. It may cost now but will save you in the long run.

Thanks for all the info/guidance and advice.

I still don't understand why use of one or two small cabin lights for a few hours in the evening, and water pump used about once a week at most, would suddenly kill a brand new 115ah leisure battery on constant charge via a smart battery charger on constant charge though, when for months everything has been fine?

I still feel I'm missing something here!

Thanks for all the info/guidance and advice.

I still don't understand why use of one or two small cabin lights for a few hours in the evening, and water pump used about once a week at most, would suddenly kill a brand new 115ah leisure battery on constant charge via a smart battery charger on constant charge though, when for months everything has been fine?

I still feel I'm missing something here!

It's not suddenly killed it, it's been killing it slowly. It's only when it's so dead that the charger refuses to charge it up that you've realised.

As DC explained above, if you take out a little more than you replace each day eventually you come to the stage where there's nothing left to take out, and the 'refiller' (the charger) simply gives up. You need a bigger charger (as well as a new battery).

Water pump used once a month? He never washes, cooks, drinks tea...?